Search

Restaurants in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Maui

Hello, we are going to have our honeymoon in January at the Napili Kaii Lahaina. We want really good food, but we don't want to spend A TON of money each night for dinner. Are there any suggestions- we will travel around the cities, and we're not picky. Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Lots to choose from:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.driveguidemagazines.com
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM

You'll never run out of places to eat right there in Lahaina. For inexpensive and local flavor - Aloha Mixed Plate. For moderate and fun - Cheeseburgers in Paradise, Hard Rock Cafe, and Moose McGillicutty's (sp?). The latter had great loco moco, surprisingly! For expensive and special, I'O or Pacific'O or David Paul's. I'm sure I've butchered some of these spellings but wanted to answer without taking the time to consult my materials...
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed. Just walk around Lahaina's 'downtown' area there's tons of nice places, many of them not expensive. Also a crazy little Swiss sandwich shop tucked back in off the main street was delicious. Like crazy4 above, I'd have to find notes to remember restaurant names, but there's no shortage to choose from.

I loved Aloha Mixed Plate but that's not downtown but more out by where Old Lahaina Luau and the mall is.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM

There are some free lots around. You just have to look for them. I found a free one, but I saw one pay lot that was only $5 for the whole day. Like the other poster said, park in Hilo Hattie's (off Dickenson) and park there and get validated. It's 2 hours with a validation. Have fun.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Napili Kai itself has a popular restaurant - by the way, the Lahaina zipcode covers a large area, at NK you'll be about ten miles or so north of Lahaina.
Close to NK is Kahana, the famous Roy's is there as is Reilley's Steakhouse (we loved it), on down the road you've got Kaanapali resort area with all the choices there then you get to Lahaina itself.
Going north from NK there's good places in Kapalua.
Be warned, prices are on the high side.

Take a look at www.mauihawaii.org and
http://www.mauimenusonline.com/ for ideas.
CJ's http://www.cjsmaui.com for breakfast - the smoked salmon bagel is a bargain, lots of smoked salmon, cheese etc.

Back there myself in April
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Best bargain in town is Moose McGillicuddy's--decent food at cheap prices (located across Kimo's & Fish Co.). Go there for $1.99 early bird breakfast, or for their lunch specials, so you can splurge on dinner elsewhere. They also have happy hour specials.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:29 AM

We had a great dinner at Kimos.

It is over the water and the food is pretty good.

Make sure to get a reservation and ask for a table on the balcony.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM

When you get to the Kahului airport, be sure to pick up some of the free magazines, brochures, etc, which are in kiosks in the baggage claim area. They have some good coupons for discounts & 2for1 meals. Between Napili & Ka'anapali, there is an Asian restaurant called the China Boat which has pretty good, inexpensive food & there is always a coupon for them in the magazines I mentioned. One of my favorites is Aloha Mixed Plate! The little Swiss cafe is pretty good also & you can get internet access there if you want/need it. It's at the southern end of Lahaina, across from Banyan Tree park.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Most of the best cheap eats are in Kihei. Da Kitchen is the best!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Good, not too expensive take out at Honokowai Okazuya. You can take it back to your room or eat it on the beach! There are a couple of tables outside the crowded little shop as well.

In Pa'ia town, the Pa'ia Fishmarket is a good and reasonable cafe.

Aloha Plate Lunch also has good Mai Tais...I thought they were better than the ones at the OLL. Several locals there the night we were there, having the hamburger, eggs, rice and gravy (what they call it has slipped my mind at the momemt). DH liked it!

For a picnic lunch to take on the road to Hana, try Hana Box Lunch (across the street from the Pa'ia Fishmarket).

Belle
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM

Moose McGillicuddy's was aweful(dirty, & had nasty food). Try to avoid that restaurant. We were there in July. However, Kimo's was excellent(great for outdoor seating & sunsets). For a special treat, try David Paul's Lahaina Grill, Mama's Fishouse, or The Pineapple Grill. They were all expensive. But, Outrageous delicious food. If you are willing to drive, head to Whalers's village & eat at the Hula Grill. It has both an indoor menu & an outdoor menu. Indoor is a dinner menu. While the outside Grill has live entertainment and great appetizer, salads, & sandwich entrees(not to mention-the best Mai Tais on the island). We returned to this restaurant over & over. The food is excellent. Hope this helps. We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary in Hawaii.Also search the website chowhound.com and post a question there. It's a forum about food/restaurants. Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM

Well, you had two recommendations for Moose's and one "AVOID"! We sat on the patio with the birdies and thought the breakfast was excellent. To each his own. Restaurant recommendations are tricky. So much of it is about timing and individual experiences. I try to avoid planning every meal and walk around to see what "hits me".