Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Maui Good & Bad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Denise

We just returned from a trip to Maui. By far the most outstanding meals that we ate were at the following restaurants:
Roys- GREAT MEAL- Outstanding service and food that was out of this world.
Hula Grill: Great food, Fun place, great service- Incrediable Coconut Creme Brulee
Hallemalle- WORTH THE DRIVE- EVERYTHING WAS FANTASTIC, the Appetizers are incrediable.
Dinner and Dessert were also great!

Worst meal & Experience
IO's in Lahina- We arrived after requesting a table out on the deck (1 week in advance)The hostess lied to us and told us that there were no tables available and would not be available for at least an hour. After 10 minutes we watched table after table empty out! We finally got moved when we complained to the manager. Our waiter suggested a salad with our dinner and when we ordered our fresh fish it came on a salad. To much salad. The location is beautiful, the hostess was the worst but the service was good

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Patty

That's funny... I had the exact opposite experiences at Haliimaile & I'O. Guess we hit them on bad days respectively.

We also enjoyed Roy's but did not like it as much as the Oahu one. And I agree with you Hula Grill is a fun place with surprisingly good food.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:54 AM
emily

I think the worst meal on Maui has to be at Tropica in the Westin Maui. We had the Pork and it was so dry I couldn't even eat it, then I got the free range chicken and it turned out to be a chicken leg. It was so disgusting for the prices they charge. They also have a lousy wine list. That atmosphere is cold and not very inviting but they lured us in with their 2 for 1 deal. Never again.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
dana

Love the Hula Grill. Leilani's is good too, but more basic. Owned by the same chain that owns the Hula Grill.

We had a wonderful fish dinner at
cascade's, at the Hyatt Regency, Maui.
I hear that Pacific'O is pretty good.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:16 PM
scott

Denise has offered some great suggestions on eating in Maui. Whole heartedly concur with eating at Roy's, especially at the bar--lots of great locals drop by, and the bartender Sean is one of those guys who knows everyone by name, and makes sure that everyone at his bar is a happy camper. We went twice in 5 days...that good. Likewise, Hallemalle General Store was great, we ate an early dinner there before catching the red eye out, since it is only 10 minutes from the airport. Also, if you go on Monday night and bring a can of food to donate to the local food bank you get 50% off your entree! (If you forget they will buy a $1 can for you and give you 50% off). I would have been happy to pay full price, but the unexpected bargain made the meal even better!

If you like Sushi, Sansei in Kapalua is great. Good innovative food (that extends beyond just Sushi), and friendly service. We also had a good lunches at Pacific O's in Lahaina, and at the Plantation House in Kapalua (great view of Molokai).

Finally, a great and inexpensive spot for breakfast/lunch that has cool atmosphere and very good food, is a place that is a combination cafe and restaurant call Java Jazz/Soup Nutz. Completely out of place in a strip mall just north of Kanapali, but worth the trip...Just wish we had found it earlier! Supposedly they have good live jazz at night.

To all who are Maui bound, enjoy!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Postal

Mama's Fish House remains my favorite Maui restaurant.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 03:34 PM
bettyk

For anyone visiting the Maui Ocean Center or Ma'alea Harbor, try Buzz's Wharf right at the Harbor.