Restaurant recommendations in Sonoma needed

Jul 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Restaurant recommendations in Sonoma needed

While in the wine country, my husband and I are staying at the Lodge at Sonoma. So many of the restaurants I read about, are in Napa and I think the drive to and from those restaurants might be a bit much just for dinner. Are there any restaurants nearer to our hotel that you can recommend? We like most any type of food and money is no object. However, I would prefer something which serves more "California cuisine." Thanks so much.
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM

You're almost within walking distance of two of my favorites in the area- La Haye Cafe & the girl & the fig.
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Cyrus in Healdsburg was the best meal I've ever had in my life! I would book a stay nearby to eat there again - in a heartbeat!
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM

If you're over near Santa Rose, check out Syrah. Outstanding food and service. I'm not connected with the restaurant in any way other than totally loving to dine there. I think they're open for lunch too.

Bon Appetit
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM

I know the owners of Syrah - glad you love it, Betsy!
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM

For casual Italian in Sonoma, try the Red Grape - light pastas, entrees and delicious thin crust pizzas.

I forgot - money is no object? I like hte El Dorado Kitchen right on the plaza..excellent wine list as well as great california cuisine.
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM

No need to drive to Napa for a fine meal !
In Sonoma town, the Carneros Bistro at The Lodge is very good.
Estate is also. I like the fig cafe in Glen Ellen
better than tg&tf. A not to miss is the Harvest Moon Cafe.
About 10-15 mins to the west over in Petaluma you'll find some terrific restaurants on the Boulevard - Central Market Cafe, Risibisi,Hiro (fab sushi)..I could go on and on about restaurants here in southern Sonoma County, let us know if you need more !

R5
Jul 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I second JayZee's recommendations -- no need to drive all the way to Napa. The other suggestions here sound good, too.
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I know I can always count on Fodorites for the best information. I don't know how I planned trips before I discovered this site. Now I just wish we had enough days to try all these restaurants. We'll just have to come back again. Thanks very much.
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Wishing I were related to the owners of Syrah, sf7307! Absolutely the best resto dinner I've had in a long time. We were there for our anniversary on June 29 and have promised ourselves to return next year, if not sooner. Please convey our thoughts to your friends.

Hey, I'll see you at the GTG tomorrow!
Jul 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Betsy, see you tomorrow (try to ignore my fat lip -- unbelieveably, I tripped on the street in SF yesterday, and hit my face very hard on the pavement. I'm okay, no dental work needed LOL, but my upper lip is a mess!!)
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you weren't seriously injured though!