Please Help! Need Sonoma Restaurant Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lookiing to helpful Fodorites because my mind is getting confused. (Very easy thing to do!)

Could you help recommend a restaurant, preferably along the 101 corridor (Healdsburg, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, etc), that can take a party of 10 people?

We're looking for a good European-style (French, Italian, Mediterranean) restaurant somewhat like Bistro Jeanty in Napa. Great food, but not sky high prices (half our party wants moderate prices).

I came across Cafe La Hayes, but it seems to be a tiny place and not good for more than 2-4 people in a party.

Others that looked promising were Piatti, Syrah, Meritage, Della Santina, Girl and the Fig. Mirepoix looked good too, but it doesn't seem to be Continental.

Any help you can give is muchly appreciated!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM

Ledson Hotel is great- tapas style.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM

I would have to recommend Girl in the Fig for food, service, and atmosphere or Cafe Don Giovanni.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:25 PM

Gale- isn't Don Giav's in Napa? Perhaps you meant Della Santini's in Sonoma? We've eaten there, it was good. But still like the tapas style dining at Harmony Club at Ledson the best. Also loved Willi's seafood tapas-style dining in Healdsburg, very very good.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM

LLindaC,

Yes, Don Gio's is in Napa but fairly easy to get to and could seat a large party easily.
The last time I was at Della Santina I found the food and service not like before and was disappointed (except for the panna cotta!!!)
Friends rave about Syrah, although I personally have not been there. And another recommendation is Flavor in downtown Santa Rosa. They have a wide variety of food and it's pretty good.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM

I went to the Girl & Fig last summer for a wedding rehearsal dinner. It was nice because we "ordered" off a fixed menu that the couple chose. The food was not fussy, yet everything seemed very special!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM

Could you help recommend a restaurant, preferably along the 101 corridor (Healdsburg, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, etc), that can take a party of 10 people?

Hi ET !
The town of Sonoma is not truly along the Hwy 101 corridor, although you have included a few Sonoma town restaurants in your list. Does this mean you are willing to travel 10-20 miles off of the Hwy 101 Corridor ?

Also, would you please define
the parameters of moderate, such as entrees between $-- and $--. Then I could narrow my list for you down.

The current menu at Ledson has nothing under $20-I'm not thinking that as moderate. Your right about LeHaye-it's tiny for 10 unless maybe you went when it opened. The only Piatti left is in Mill Valley-right off Hwy 101. Oh, and Meritage is one of my faves ! They have a large patio space that would be yummy if the weather was ok.

Is this a week or weekend night ? Are you bringing your own
Bastardo again ?

Let me know,
R5
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

LLindaC: Thanks for the recommendation of the Ledson. Unfortunately, it's a bit off main road and in the dark...

My problem is that I have at least three cars with one couple from out of state. At the moment, one couple is booked into the Hilton in Santa Rosa, one couple booked the Sheraton (is that in Petaluma?), and I personally prefer the golf course setting of the Doubletree in Rohnert Park. Thus, we're already scattered as far as hotels are concerned.

The problem with planning for anything for more than one person is the problem of herding cats. Everyone has a preference, an opinion, a like, a dislike, an "oh I just must..." "oh, I hate...". It took awhile to get everyone to agree on Continental! (Some like it hot. But we ran into "no, no, no Mexican or hot foods"). Could you recommend something a bit closer to Santa Rosa/ Healdsburg?

galelstorm: Flavor sounds very intriguing. Have you ever eaten there? It has an organic menu and some things that we love, like mussels (one time, at Maggiano's Little Italy, we had three plates of their mussels for only four of us - and that was just one of their appetizers!).

MelissaHI: I'm tending towards The Girl and The Fig, even though it's in Sonoma. However, Flavor Bistro sounds like a possible substitute.

Hi, Razz! Been awhile!

Well, your guess is as good as mine! One man's "moderate" is another man's "expensive". I'd say probably around $40-$50 per person without wine. This should include a soup/salad, main dish, and either appetizer/dessert - 3 courses. Entrees in the $20-$35 range would work.

I'd prefer not to have to drive too far (we risk having someone get lost, especially after a day of wine-tasting!), that's the reason for the 101 corridor idea. However, if the Girl and The Fig is so much better, then I'd be willing to coordinate a journey further afield.

Bastardo? I still have another bottle sitting around someplace - you've just given me an idea!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM

AH Yes, ET - "the something for everyone problem !"
Here's my picks:
Petaluma
(Yes, the Sheraton is here)
Central Market
http://tinyurl.com/ook
Graffiti
http://tinyurl.com/owkyj
These two restaurants are in the new theatre district along the river-a realy cool re-developement by the City of Petaluma.

Santa Rosa
John Ash & CO
At the Vintner's Inn-Timeless cuisine.

Healdsburg
Manzanita
This is a local favorite that we have eaten at for years.

Happy dilemma, isn't it ?
R5

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM

Thought I would jump ino this thread just a bit, because we are staying in Sonoma for 3 nights.....looking for something in the Town,,,because we do not like to drink and drive;-). Saw the web site for girl and the fig...lookks good!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM

Here's a (I hope) link for
Central Market
http://www.we8there.com/rest_detail.php?busid=5879
R5
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM

Judyrem:
Do consider a meal at the Carneros Bistro at the Lodge at Sonoma
and Cafe LeHaye, and Meritage as well.
I get the not drinking and driving and we locals appreciate that !

R5
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM

Razzle...thanks so much for info, both the Meritage and Carneros look wonderful,,,,,and why is your wonderful wine so inexpensive there,,,,dhuh????? ;-) Could not find the Cafe Le haye, but will keep on looking. We will be there the end of March through the beginning of April.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM

Oh, I second Manzanita! We had a wood oven salmon on plank that I still think about. Plus, the service/atmosphere/wine list all added to the great experience. It was reasonable, IMO and has quite a varied menu. Knowing where you're all staying, I wouldn't drive all the way to Sonoma. Plenty of great places closer. You'll get a great meal in SO many places in wine country!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM

Judyrem: Because I cannot spell,LOL
Cafe LA Haye
http://www.sterba.com/sonoma/lahaye/
So Sorry !

LLindaC
Salmon on Plank...You're making me hungry !

R5
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if everyone in your party would like to bunk at the same hotel, the Doubletree is usually what we get through Priceline when I bid for a 3* in the Santa Rosa area. We stayed there this weekend for $50/night. Had a lovely room with a lanai. If you indicate that you would like to use PL, I can guide you through the bidding/free rebid process. I'm in no way affiliated with the hotel or PL. DS lives in Santa Rosa and when we visit, I happily use PL.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:34 AM

Thanks razzle...now I have to figure which of the 5 rests. I like and make reservations! We will be there over thurs through the weekend and I heard it gets pretty hectic then! Razzle. we like to hike early in the day...have any good info for hikes around Sonoma?
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM

EasyTraveler,

No, I have not eaten at Flavor but a good friend has eaten there often. And if that is her fav after Syrah I trust her opinion.

I second RZDZ's recommendation for Central Market as well. Just depends on who wants to do the driving in your party!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

There are fantastic hikes in Sonoma Lake State Park. You definitely have to check with the ranger station as to the condition of the trails and to get a map.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM

THanks LindaC! I will look it up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -