Driving the PCH without reservations

Jul 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Driving the PCH without reservations

I will be driving up the PCH from San Diego to San Francisco over the upcoming Labor Day weekend and into the following week. Plan to take at least 3 days or more. Will be making overnight stops wherever we happen to be each evening. Do not have lodging reservations since we do not know where we will be stopping each night. will I have trouble finding lodging ? Any suggestions on how to break up the trip ?
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Suggested stops: Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay/Cambria, Monterey/Carmel.

I have no idea how the economy will affect travel on the PCH, but I don't think I'd want to travel PCH over a holiday weekend without some reservations, at least as a backup. Certainly not at more popular places like Monterey/Carmel. Just my opinion.
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM

OK - curious why you tagged this New York. Most folks looking to help w/ California won't see your thread.

That being said -- in summer most places along the central coast have a 2 night minimum on weekends. Also Labor day weekend itself will be very busy. The week after much less so. I'd personally never hit Santa Barbara, Cambria or Monterey/Carmel w/o firm reservations. You could end up in the most expensive place in town, the worst place in town - or no place.
Jul 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Or the worst place in town for a really expensive rate
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM

I also recommend that you make sure you have reservations.