Santa Cruz or Monterey/Carmel

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Rosie

Santa Cruz or Monterey/Carmel

I will be making my first trip to San Francisco next April and would like to make a weekend trip somewhere along the coast. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on these two areas. I am looking for a place to stay with an ocean or bayview room preferablly with a balcony and that allows smokers, from what I have read on other post a lot California hotels don't. As far as the area goes, I am looking for someplace with plenty to do and see, scenic as well as shopping and attractions.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Native

Rosie,

This is a no brainer. Monterey/Carmel is where you want to be. Probably Monterey since you will have more access to ocean view rooms.

Do a Fodors text search and you will have more ideas than you will know what to do with.

Native

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 10:07 AM
J Correa

I'd definitely choose Monterey. Th there are plenty of things to do and see. You might stop in Santa Cruz on the way there or on the way back, but I wouldn't stay for the weekend. Santa Cruz is pretty quiet that time of year.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Pat

Definitely Monterey. Many hotels in the Cannery Row area have great bay view rooms with balconys. Also, there are scads of attractions, shops, eateries etc. Santa Cruz os ok but not in the same class as Monterey.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 11:28 AM
David

I would agree with Monterey and Carmel. Go to www.monterey.com and www.carmelbythesea.com for more information.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Peter Ashcroft

No question, you want to see Monterey and Carmel (Carmel is right next door.)

In Monterey, you can visit Cannery Row, the Monterey Bay Aquarium (at the end of Cannery Row), and 17-mile drive among other things. Carmel is just a quick jaunt from Monterey.

Santa Cruz is okay but to me is not as beautiful or interesting overall (though it has its own eccentricities).