Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in New Orleans/Hotel Monteleone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Leyla

My Fiance and I just decided on NO for our honeymoon in a year (exactly today). I'm trying to do as much research as possible in order for us to do the major things we want. I'm thinking about Hotel Monteleone - but would like input on that.
We are doing a jazz and dinner cruise, ghost tour, vampire tour and definitely hitting Cafe du Monde. I want to hit one of Emeril's restaurants and have heard good things about the Gumbo Shop.
Any other great romantic food suggestion would be appreciated and does anybody have any feelings about the carriage tours of FQ and GD???

Thanks!!!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:19 PM
J Correa

We spent our honeymoon in New Orleans too - it was great.

I bought several guide books and found the Frommer's guide to be the most helpful and accurate.

We were going to take the dinner jazz cruise but decided against it. We heard from several sources that the music is more along the lines of elevator music than good jazz and that the food leaves a lot to be desired.

Cafe Du Monde is great - we went there several times, usually around midnight and we were hungry again.

We took a FQ carriage ride which was a lot of fun - over priced, but fun. We went in the evenning, which was romantic.

For tours, we took a walking tour with the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co - it was recommended in several guide books. Our guide was great - very knowledgable and answered all our questions.

We also took a plantation tour through Spinato Tours. I've heard that Tours by Isabelle is good too.

We took a swamp tour with Capt Nick's Wildlife Safaries and were very happy with the tour. I've heard that Dr Denny and Honey Island also give great swamp tours.

For eats, we didn't go to any of the fancy restaurants like Commander's Palace - that's just not our style, but we did enjoy Mother's, Red Fish Grill, Remoulades, Pere Antoine's, Central Grocery, and Rita's. We tried the Court of Two Sisters on someone's recommendation. It was ok, but nothing compared to the other food we had on our trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Cindy

We went to NOLA (Emeril's place) for the first time this year - it was also the last. Just not impressive food to us, but others may like it. Luck of the day, maybe? For reasonably priced and great food you might want to try Petunia's in the Quarter. I haven't really heard anything good about the dinner/jazz cruises, but just a short steamboat trip on the Mississippi has been fun more than once. For a relaxing trip through the Garden District, take the St. Charles Streetcar - it lasts quite a while and is really inexpensive. If you decide on a city tour, the Gray Line is nice and includes a cemetary stop - you can get a fantastic amount of information about a town you'll surely fall in love with!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:07 PM
T

We had a very nice meal at Irene's in the FQ. We used Cukie's Tours. She has great tours with small groups. Went on a city tour, cemetery tour, and plantation tour with her. Also did the Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour and the Gray Line Ghost Tour and Gray Line garden district tour.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:03 PM
bettyk

Well, my husband and I stayed at the Monteleone Hotel for our honeymoon, but that was almost 27 years ago! May your marriage last as long and be as happy!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
wendy

I just returned from NO yesterday and stayed at the Monteleone. It was top notch. Service and people were very helpful and friendly. I will definately stay there the next time I visit. We had exceptional meals at Bayona's, Irene's Cuisine and K-Paul's. For Po-Boys you have to go to Acme. They have the best in town. We ate there 3 times in the 5 days we were there. Enjoy your stay.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Elizabeth

i hope you have a great time in NO. I went with my bf and had the best time of our lives. I suggest taking a carriage tour of the Garden District. It is absolutely beautiful. I don't know if you are an Anne Rice fan or not but her house is gorgeous. We ate at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse and I had the best Steak I ever had. it is a bit pricey though. The Court of Two Sisters is really nice also.