Search

Red Mountain Spa/Utah

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Mountain Spa/Utah

I know mms has been here (I searched the old posts) and recommends it. Anyone else have experience w/Red Mountain? And mms, feel free to chime in! I am looking for a spa w/hiking, fitness and stress reduction classes included, and extra spa treatments, and good flavorful low cal healthy food. Don't want to pay Canyon Ranch prices, and I think Red Mountain is the place. Have been to Utah w/the firend who woudl go w/me and we loved hiking there. Would appreciate feedback on this spa. She has been to Rancho La Puerta and I have not been to any destination spa. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM

gee, wish I could say I had.. maybe an April trip.. I'll recruit some other champagne dames for caviar treatments.. love early morning hikes in the rocks/desert! Anyone game?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM

I have been trying to put together a trip to Red Mountain with some of my friends-never can get them to make that final commitment. Maybe we should just make it a Fodorite GTG!!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:45 AM
emd
Original Poster

jetset, I thought of you on my recent trip to NYC because I saw a coffee mug w/"jetset" on it...

Anyone been to Red Mountain? In particular, how were the fitness assessments and classes/trainers? We are both trying to get jump started on more routine aerobic exercising.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I feel like a walking billboard for Red Mountain Yes, it truly is a great place. I have been several times and have never been disappointed in anything.

The hiking is great. They used to have more levels for the hikes, but now there are 3. Plus, you can venture out on your own as you are within walking distance of Snow Canyon so you can head out and go hike on your own. We did that on our last trip this winter.

One thing we wanted to do, but ran out of time for, was the bike ride to the coffee place. Can't remember what it is called, but a friend did it and said it was great.

The various classes on site are good...a few varieties of yoga, tai chi, water aerobics...all sorts of stuff. The instructors really know what they are doing and are very good at helping people make adjustments if needed.

The spa treatments...oh where to begin?! LOL! Too many to choose from...but all that I have tried so far are excellent. Tiffany is my favorite person there, and she has been there for years.

The chef does daily food demonstrations at lunchtime that you need to sign up for in advance. They fill fast, so sign up as soon as they allow.

Breakfast and lunch are self serve, buffet style. LOTS of options! And each dish is labeled with the nutrition content. For dinner, you will be waited upon. They do have wine and beer available for an additional charge, and while not a large selection, very good wines.

The spa has a cookbook which you can purchase that has many of their recipes in it. If you have something there that is not in it, just ask the chef as he is more than willing to share.

There are hammocks and lounge chairs scattered throughout the spa, so a good excuse for a short nap whenever the mood hits you.

There are two pools...both large...one indoor and one outdoors. Tennis courts outside as well.

The only negative...and this is just me, is that flying in/out of Las Vegas is icky. Flying in is not so bad, as you are excited for the spa. But after being at the spa for a while, then flying back, that airport is like a bad slap across the face, lol! There is a small airport in St. George, so I would recommend that to keep with the relaxed state of mind you will be in. IF you decide to do the Vegas route, you can rent a car (we have done that when we had 13 of us meeting up, so rented several) or take a shuttle. There are 2 shuttles that go from the airport to the spa. The one we took last time was Desert Shuttle, and the owner/driver was great. Made a couple detours for us, etc.

On our last trip we were seriously considering Miraval and Canyon Ranch, but when it came down to it, Red Mountain won out. The price for what you get just cannot be beat.

If you have any more questions, just ask. It is time for my girlfriends and I to plan our annual spa trip, so this post sure got me in the mood to start planning! LOL!

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM

mms~ I tried to get my So. Cal. buddy interested last year, and she was worried about a religious connection, though I didn't think there was..(Utah).. I'll keep trying. J.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM

jetset--Tell her not to worry! The first few times I was there, they did not have any alcohol on site. So we just stopped at a liquor store before we arrived They now realize what the guests want, lol! If there is a religious connection, we haven't seen it.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM

emd~ I am quickly morphing into Bodacious Badonkadonk Jetset, so I may ask for that on Santa's list, in lieu of Christmas, Valentines, St. Patrick's Day and especially, Godiva Chocolate Day!

Attention: we are now boarding you truffle sized gals through the freight and fright area.. please have your skinny pants and proof of gym membership available for the gate agent.
Remember you will be weighed on your return flight and must show improvement.
Sitting next to a person able to operate a Slim Fast is advisable.
A hefty bag can be used to exit using the slide. Please try to avoid the nuts.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM
emd
Original Poster

OK, looks like we are booking a double queen villa suite for early October for a week. Will report when I get back. Thanks very much, mms. My friend is excited about the prospect of healthy food that tastes good (and those daily cooking demos), as she said the food at Rancho La Puerta was awful. Also, she is a wine person (has a cellar) and wants a glass of vino w/dinner. I like that Red Mountain looks balanced- not like a boot camp but it looks like you can get serious fitness/exercise going there and enjoy the great hiking, biking, spa, etc. also. Looking forward to it.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM

emd--How exciting! I have been there in early October and think that is an ideal time. The patio is open that time of year for dining, and there is a large outdoor fireplace. Very nice in the evenings! Yes, you won't feel like you are at boot camp...unless you decide to do fitness class after fitness class, but then you only have yourself to blame
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM

just wondering how much of a discount they'd give a large group.. um, large as in numbers(smack smack).. J.