Spa/Serious Exercise week wanted - advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice about where to go for a week or so after leaving job of 14 years in early July? Don't want to spend Golden Door or Canyon Manor prices. Rancho la Puerto, Oaks at Ojai both booked. Most of the other places I might chose in a different year (Tassajara, Easlen, Wilbur Hot Springs, Breitenbush Hot Springs) don't have enough opportunity for some serious getting in shape, which I would like this year. Places like Green Valley, Mirival are also pretty pricey for what I would like this time. I am usually interested in the pampering side, but want some decent opportunity for exercise, good food and fresh air, and for once, don't really care about the more fancy, luxury side!

Any advice much appreciated. I figure there are some places I don't know about or have not thought about.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:23 PM

Red Mountain Spa in Utah is exactly this! I have been several times and love it. They just finished a remodel recently, and they did a great job. The rooms are very comfy, the spa has a huge menu with some amazing treatments, and the guided hiking trips are great. They have 3 levels, so since you are looking for serious exercise, you don't have to be stuck with a group that wants to stroll, etc. There are also lots of fitness classes that are really good. The instructors really know what they are doing and do not pretend to be a jack of all trades...they tend to have their specialties.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM

If you can wait till there is room them go to Rancho La Puerta. I went April 15-22 with my mom and we had a blast. I worked out a ton!!!! 3-4 hours a day but it's really however much you want to do. The spa services were fabulous and not very expensive and while the food was very healthy and I craved my usual junk it was also quite good. It was a nice spa without the pretentiousness. We absolutely loved it. Everyone was totally nice, classes were good (some too easy for me but I'm in my 30s and work out a lot), and it was totally relaxing. Seriously, if you can wait then please do and go to the Ranch! It was terrific!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM

mms - aka Queen of Spas

When I began to read this post I thought of you.

Did we get a trip report from this years gtg with your girlfriend - or were you too relaxed
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

I love instant gratification. Thanks to you who answered so quickly! Red Mountain Spa was rumbling around in the back of my mind, but I could not remember the name of it and it looke like just what I may need, with some actual availability during the time I want to go. Thanks. Will track down and consider any other suggestions as well and appreciate all the feedback!
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:02 AM
emd

A very close friend has been twice to the Hilton Head Health Institute and swears it is the most serious and best exercise and health spa she has been to. It is less expensive than Canyon Ranch. It was rated #4 of this type spa in the world by Travel and Leisure.

http://www.hhhealth.com/weightloss/weightlossspa.asp
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:40 AM

LOL Alya! I rarely do trip reports, so no, I didn't do one for that trip. We went the end of January this year and yes, we were so relaxed by the end of the trip. The only bad thing was having to go from total bliss to the Las Vegas airport, lol!
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

mms -- thank you again. I have booked my week at Red Mountain Spa. I did know about this place, but it had slipped my mind and it is exactly what I was wanting. This is such a great resource!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM

mstraveler--I would love to hear what you think when you return. I would highly recommend that you book any spa appointment as soon as you know what you want. My favorite therapist is Tiffany, and she has been there for a long time. Ask for her when you call.