Rain in LA

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain in LA

We are going to LA next week and the forecast looks horrible- rain everyday. We will have a car- where can we drive to get some sunshine for a daytrip?

Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Joshua Tree Natl. Park

Anza Borrego Desert State Park
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM

We just returned from L.A. The weather forecast was rain everyday, so we, too, were concerned. However, it was easy to work around the rain showers. It poured on Thursday evening, after we arrived, which was the only downpour we saw. Otherwise, a rain shower would come and go, no big deal.

L.A. has so many micro-climates, that it can be raining in one part of town, but not another. There were gorgeous clouds sitting over the mountains.

Don't worry too much about it, You might be lucky, like we were, to just work around some showers. Bring an umbrella and layers, needless to say.

We planned to visit the Getty Villa, in case we needed to be inside. It's free, and you make an advance reservation. But, we did not make it there.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Well, don't spend time on clogged up freeways trying to get out of town! It wouldn't be worth it, just check out some indoor places to enjoy.

If you do drive down to the desert, plan on staying a night or two, it is not for a day trip.

Like Peaceout says, the rain weather here does not last that long, comes and goes. Don't worry about it and have alternate plans.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM

I saw a forecast this morning and it doesn't look to bad at least thru the early part of the week. The previosly forecast storm for the weekend may stay north of us.

It's been "cold", ie highs in the low 60's.

The desert may be drier, but probably colder at night.

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. This is our first trip to southern California and we are escaping the winter in Buffalo- so I was a bit discouraged about the weather report.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM

We live in Colorado, so L.A. "cold" is not cold to us. Nor will it be for you, from Buffalo.

Even when it was pouring rain, it still felt warm to us! L.A. natives get out their Ugg boots, which was funny to us that they think it's really cold.

For nighttime, I only needed a light sweater and my NorthFace outer shell (not heavy). On the beach, it is coolish.

Hopefully you will enjoy your week, like we enjoyed our get-away. Palm trees, blue skies, multi-colored clouds over the mountains-- I love L.A.

If you go to Santa Monica, we had a very nice mid-priced dinner and a lunch at the Shutters Hotel restaurant. Very nice outdoor patio for daytime. Good service and excellent menu. A good value. It's called "Coast". Their upscale restaurant is called "One Pico". http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/re...estaurant.html

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM

One thing to look out for if you're driving in the rain in L.A.: Localized flooding, especially in intersections. Because it rains so rarely, the drains clog up with all kinds of stuff that never gets washed away, and when it does rain heavily once in a while, the water backs up. Go slow, take back streets around the problem spot, just be careful.