forecast for our alaska trip: rain, rain and more rain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone, we can't wait for our Alaska trip. I checked weather.com today and for the next 10 days, every where we'll be, we'll have rain! Well, I'd rather have sun, but rainy Alaska is still Alaska!

I'm wondering, what's summer rain in Alaska like? By that I mean, in Florida, it rains almost every day in the summer, but only for a short while (and VERY HARD for that short while). Is it that way in Alaska, or is it sort of grey and drizzly all day? BTW, we'll be in Anchorage, Denali, and Seward!

TIA!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM

You never know what you're really going to get...even with the forecast. But it has been raining here in Juneau the last week...it changes by the minute/hour fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) An occasional downpour here, a total break in weather there. It's not bad enough to stop the tour planes/helicopters.

By Florida standards I don't think you have to worry about the amount of rain as much as the the temperature...by your standards it will be cold (current temp: 55 degrees). Most people don't use an umbrella (though you can bring one as long as it's not too windy) but just raise the hood on their water-proof jacket and life goes on.

Personally, I find find the mist rising up out of the forest or the fog hovering over the islands just as beautiful as a sunny day. Colors in the photos actually come out better (unless it's a total downpour, which usually doesn't last all day anyway) Layered clothing, light gloves, a hat for warmth would be good to have...you know how it is...if you bring it you won't need it and if you don't...!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:57 AM

As a follow up to Klondike, bring good (not cheap) breathable two piece rain gear. Gore Tex is probably best, but there are less expensive materials out now as well. About half of our two week trip it rained, but the gear allowed us to get out every day. While clear weather is obviously nicer there are fewer people out when raining and the wildlife doesn't seem to care.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:48 AM
dcespedes

Hi birder, if it makes you feel at all better the night before we left I pulled up the 10 day forecast for Anchorage and Seward and every single day showed rain, rain and more rain. I am happy to tell you that it rained alright but just one day out of 13. We enjoyed absolutely beautiful weather so don't be discouraged--you just never know! Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I don't mind rain and we have excellent gortex rain gear. But it would be nice to have more sun than rain. No matter what, though, we'll be out and about hiking and checking out the wildlife!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Hi Birder,
Just returned from Alaska. Before we left a 10 day forecast showed rain, rain and more rain in all places we were going to. We had some rain on the way to Kennicott, one day in Seward and on the way from Denali to Anchorage. That did not stop us from hiking and all other outdoor activities. Just be ready to be flexible and bring a rain gear. We had some gorgeous weather in Anchorage, Valdez, Fairbanks, Barrow, Homer and Lake Clark National Park and Preserve. Have a great trip