Search

radisson barcelo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radisson barcelo

It seems people either hate this hotel or love it. Has there been any renovations done recently? One person says thread bare bedspreads, another says fluffy and comfy. If a family of four could get this hotel for 79 a night, would it be worth putting up with its downsides? All we want is a clean hotel with comfy beds in a safe neighborhood. If I request a room in the "back" away from the noisy street will we be looking at a brick wall?
Any info will help. Trying to do d.c. on a budget. (ha, is that an oxymoron?!)
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:49 PM

I would say go for it. I was there last year and didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not aware of any renovations. Everything in the room seemed in good condition.

For a family of 4 the key advantage will be the size of the rooms, they are big. For $79 I don't think you can go wrong - good, safe location, near the Metro for hitting the sights.

My room was at the back, view wasn't great, I think it overlooked a pool but couldn't be sure.

I certainly wouldn't put this hotel in the budget category.

Like you say, people seem to love the place or hate it, but at that price in DC I'd say it was very good value.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

While it ain't the Ritz it sure isn't Motel 6, either. If you can get it for $79, jump on it! The rooms are some of the largest in town, the location is convenient, staff friendly and helpful. Wouldn't worry too much about street noise - there's not that much of it, as it is not a huge thoroughfare.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:45 PM

DEFINATLEY get the $79 rate, I paid $99 and thought that was good. We stayed there 4 weeks ago and then posted a bit negatively on rants and Raves (I felt a bit guilty). The rooms are massive 2 double beds, the bedspread WAS sewn in 3 parts but I think this supposed to be so as it was sewn to fit well around the pillows!, a writing table, 2 seater sofa(bed), armchair and coffee table. The room was spotlessly clean I just felt it could do with being a bit brighter. We were on the front on the ninth floor, it was pretty noisy on the first night (Thursday) but got used to it after that (or was so tired), if this will bother you ask for a rear room. The windows look like they are double glazed but they are not. The staff were not particularly friendly, either on the front desk or the Concierge.
The hotel was about 3 mins from Dupont Circle and 4 mins from the Metro.
There was always lots of people around making it feel a safe area.
If you would like anymore info please E-mail me, [email protected]
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:12 PM

Just re-read you comment about doing DC on the cheap this is no joke - apart from food we found it hard to give money away. Just about everything is free! Great public transport and a fabulous setting.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:08 PM
E

Sara, I'm so glad to hear you say that! As a DC area native I would like evryone, everywhere to know what amazing free resources there are in DC! All the Smithsonian museums, the monuments, the Capitol and White House tours (when open, of course), the parks...lodging and food aren't cheap in DC, but still, where else can you see so much for nothing?? Enjoy it, haynes family! (and I agree, jump on the Barcelo, at that rate you won't be sorry, as it is certainly not a budget hotel in general)
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your advice, I will make the reservation and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Eva

Hi, I just replied to your other post. Definitely jump on the Barcello. We love that neighborhood and the rooms are supposed to be huge.

The other posters are correct about there being many free things to do. Other than food, we rarely spend any other money. All of the museums and monuments are free.

The Dupont Circle area will give you great access to restaurants and the metro as well as a Starbucks, CVS, and a fun place for breakfast called Kramerbooks and Afterwords (also a bookstore). Seems to me there is also a market around there where you could get some shopping done to save a few bucks on food and snacks.

Enjoy your trip and post a report when you come back. If you are heading there in June or beyond a hotel with a pool is a good thing if you have kids (Barcello has one I believe). It can get pretty hot there!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM

There is a starbucks right next to the hotel now and a Cosi Cafe for good breakfasts near the Metro stop. Coming from England the CVS at Dupont Circle is great to browse in on the way home - open 24 hrs and it sells all sorts!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM

I've stayed at the Radisson Barcelo a number of times and I've never had a bad room; several times I've even lucked out and had suites. You're getting a steal and the location is superb.