Ron Jon's

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron Jon's

We are going to WDW in July and will make a trip to Ron Jon's. The only other time we went to RJ's we were very disappointed in the beach. Are there any real sandy, clean beaches on the ocean side near there? Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Ron Jon's just hosted a huge surfing competition so the area may be in pretty good shape right now. If not, I understand Melbourne's beach (just south of Cocoa Beach) is really nice. Hopefully somebody will confirm or deny this for you. Have fun!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Hi
The nicest beach near Orlando is New Smyrna Beach.It's approx 50 miles NNW. The best route is up I-4 about 90 minutes from WDW, depending on traffic. There is no comparison between Cocoa Beach where R J is located.You can check it out on Volusia.org the county's web site. From main page click on beaches. There is a webcam to view New Smyrna and Daytona Beach in several locations & driving on the beach info. Ron Jon's is opening a new store in Orlando on International Drive next to Outdoor World (which is a few blocks from Wet & Wild)It should be open when you arrive.
Have Fun
Alex
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I've always liked Sebatian Inlet, which is a surfer's hangout. It's about 20-30 miles south of Cocoa.

Keep in mind that until you get down around Ft Lauderdale/Miami, the beaches aren't as super-nice as they are on the West Coast. (Although, I still like 'em.)
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM

I see my spell-check failed me again. That's Sebastian Inlet, not Sebatian.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I used to live in Melbourne and thought the beach was so-so and kind comparable with Cocoa. The thing I hated about Melbourne is there are massive rocks in the surf so you have to be very careful-many banged up shins!

Sebstian is very nice - didn't spend much time at the beach but at a place called Sebastian Beach Inn for Sunday brunch with a regae band on the deck. Very relaxing.

The beaches up by Daytona are much nicer like Diver said.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:42 PM

The mystique of Ron Jons escapes me. Never undersestimate the power of a billboard, well, actually hundreds of billboards. Cocoa Beach is a tickytacky beach town: sort of broke down in a charming way. I had a fantastic chinese dinner there one night however and people there had driven up from Boca and south to have the Peking Duck.

Beaches are better up towards New Smyrna. Vero Beach is also nice.