DC - JW Marriott or Mayflower?

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC - JW Marriott or Mayflower?

Looking for location to use Marriott points in DC for a long weekend.

From the reviews I have been trying to decide between the JW Marriott and the Mayflower - although I am open to other suggestions.

Has anyone stayed at both that can compare them for me?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM

What;s important to you?

JW is a big convention and more modern but its location is great for visiting Mall and White House.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM

I've actually stayed at both multiple times, and here is my opinion, but as a business traveler:

JW - the rooms are just right, not too big, not too small. Modern decor. There is a nice safe for the laptop right in the desk, and you get flat screen TVs in every room. Very easy to light up the entire room.

The bathrooms are on the small side. Think Euro-style. If toiletries are important to your stay, it's run of the mill with ginger smell. Not my cup of tea.

Location can't be beat if you need easy access to the Mall and monuments, which I often do. The closest metro stops are Red line's MetroCenter and Blue/Orange line's Federal Triangle.

Mayflower - The rooms are pretty much hit or miss. I've suffered through rooms so small, I walked into the walls upon entering, to rooms so large, I didn't know what to do with myself. The newly renovated decor only applies to the bedding, everything else retains some old world charms. The tables are simple, and the room tends towards the dark side. The safe is in the closet, and if I recall correctly, doesn't fit a laptop.

The bathrooms in every room I've stayed at have been large, and some have TVs in the bathrooms. All have a heating lamp, which are great for cold winter days. Toiletries are from Bath and Body Works, so a plus from me here.

You can't get any better in terms of location. Right on Connecticut Ave, with Dupont Circle about a 10 minute stroll away. You have a choice of 2 metro lines, the Red line's Farragut North literally at the corner, or the Orange/Blue line's McPherson's Square a block away.

While it depends on what my trip is for, I do prefer staying at the Mayflower for the most part, mainly because there are more restaurant selections in that general area.

If there's anything you need more details on, please let me know...
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM

mcnyc nailed it pretty well, but it all comes down to your needs. if you're bringing kids and want a pool and want them to chill after a day of mall walking, the JW has one of the better ones for a DT hotel. If you want nightlife, the Mayflower is better, closer to Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan. (I think there's a pool at a nearby athletic club for the Mayflower.)

For general comfort, I'd opt for the Mayflower.

If you don't mind Courtyards, there's a relatively new one in a great location of Penn Quarter. Haven't stayed but friends have enjoyed it. Right next to Spy Museum. Some great dining within a few blocks.

One small note, the blue and orange lines also run from metro center.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Oops...yes, repete is correct about the blue/orange line also stopping at MetroCenter. It's just that if I'm staying at the JW, and Federal Triangle stops first, I will hop off there instead of at MetroCenter. A silly quirk I have in the daytime.

But like repete says, it all depends on what you seek.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Based on your excellent responses, it doesn't sound like I could go really wrong with either. We ended up choosing the JW Marriott as it seemed to be more convenient to the sites were are going to visit this trip and I had read iffy things about construction at the Mayflower.

I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions but I have a lot of other posts to read first to see if they have already been asked/answered. Thanks again!