Philly Hotel Help

May 6th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Sandy

Philly Hotel Help

Heading to Philly july 8 & 9 with 2 11 yr. old boys. Want to see sights, take in ball game.

Never been to Philly. Need help picking hotel, possibly one that offers suites,(but not requirement) in convenient location to tourist attractions but won't break us either (less than $200/night).

Suggestions??????? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6th, 2002, 07:05 AM
may

I'm not sure if this meets all of your requirements, but it's worth a look: the Sheraton Society Hill.

For one thing, it's where the visiting teams stay when they play in Philly, so your boys may be able to pick up an autograph or two.

It's convenient to the historical areas and to the waterfront district, and a short drive to the ballpark.

You'll have to check with them as far as price and availability of suites.

May 6th, 2002, 08:08 AM
sandy

Will check it out! THanks!!

May 6th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Frank

Check out quikbook.com, on your dates the Sofitel and Omni are available for $149 and the Loews @ $110. The Omni is right smack in the middle of the Historic district, while the Sofitel is in the Rittenhouse Square area. The Loews is in-between the 2 areas. You won't go wrong with any of the 3 for the prices quoted.

If you stay at the Sheraton Society Hill, make sure you ask for an exterior view, the arium views are dreary. Although the location is good, we didn't care for the hotel.

May 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
sandy

Thanks Frank. I have never tried Quikbook, but will definatly check it out- thanks for the heads-up!

May 6th, 2002, 10:03 AM
David

Sandy,

Check out the Embassy Suites at 18th and The Parkway. It is convenient to Center City and the Art Museum area, as well as within walking distance to public transportation. www.embassysuitesdowntown.com

May 6th, 2002, 10:12 AM
sandy

Checked out Quikbook. Got good rate at Omni and Clarion. (Both under $150!)Because there are 4 of us the suite option is tempting. Any thoughts Clarion vs. Omni?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!

May 6th, 2002, 10:33 AM
m

The omni is very nice and very convenient. I don't know if they have suites. The $150 rate sounds good.

May 6th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Frank

Not familiar with the Clarion, but I believe it is on Race Street, which is north of the Convention Center and not the most central area. The Omni is right in the middle of Constitution Park and in walking distance of the main tourist attractions. Having said that, our favorite area is Rittenhouse Square, but with children, I think Constitution Park is the best area.

May 6th, 2002, 11:35 AM
sandy

Is Embassy Suites Center City in a good location to the sites? Quikbook also has a great price for that but I have read mixed reviews- any thoughts??

May 6th, 2002, 12:18 PM
David

Sandy,

Embassy Suites is a good location in Center City. It is 7 blocks from the Art Museum and about 3 blocks to the Borad Street and Market Frankford Subway Lines.

May 6th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Ariela

I recently stayed in Philly in a good business class,three star hotel for $50 a night by booking through hotwire. I would definitely reccomend it if you're not overly picky about exactly where the hotel is. If you're driving, it doesn't matter much. Philly is not a huge city with tons of traffic where that should be a concern. Also, make sure to check out the hotel's parking fees - they can sometimes be a little steep, but if you look, you may find street parking closeby. Enjoy Philly!

May 7th, 2002, 04:21 AM
sandy

Thanks so much for all the tips! Embasyy Suites- because of price. location & amenities could be the keeper! Again- thanks for your help- we are looking forward to a great time (and some REAL philly cheese steak!)

May 7th, 2002, 06:08 AM
David

Sandy,

For a the best cheeseseak in Philly go to Geno's Steaks at 9th and Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia.

May 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
iliveinphilly

Don't go to Genos for a cheesesteak, its not near anything else you want to see. Go to Jim's steaks on south street, cool shops and the kids will like it there (walking distance from historic area). Next time visit during basketball, hockey or football season, baseball is not working out right now.

May 7th, 2002, 11:52 AM
sandy

It's OK about the baseball. I am from Boston...need I say more about baseball not working out...!

Will give Jim's a try!