Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia hotel needed for one-night stay..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for a Philly hotel to stay in, post-concert, for one night. Hoping to stay in the price range of $150 or less. I also would like to be near Center City, or a short taxi ride away. Thanks, Greg
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I suggest you check Kayak, then go to PriceLine.com if you can't find a hotel at that price.

Since we don't know your date OR the amenities you require, it's impossible for ANYONE here to know if there's a hotel that meets your needs and has vacancies at that price on your night.

By going to Kayak (or any of a dozen other search sites), you'll get a FAR better answer than what you would find by asking here -- and do so in FAR less time.

Get a better answer in less time -- why not?
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I stay at the Shearton on 17th and Race. It's a couple blocks from City Hall
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Which direction are you headed in the morning? If you hop on a late Amtrak train, you might save a lot.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Pricewise, it's going to make big difference if it's a weekend or weekday. We can recommend neighborhoods but it will also help if we know where the concert is.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM

without knowing when you're staying it will be hard to recommend a place. I personally love Marriotts, but I think you would be better off stayinging in Aloft or the Four Points by Sheraton close to the city center.

To find exactly what you want I would recommend searching sites like hotels.com; hotelgizmo.com or expedia.com
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM

I agree with the previous comments. Depending on where the concert is (Linc? TLA? World Cafe? Electric Factory? Mann? Kimmel?), how you are getting there (car? cab? SEPTA?), what else you are doing (going out after the concert? straight back to your room?), and where you want to go the next day (Amtrak? Mega or Bolt? driving out of town?) there are at least a few decent options I can think of, and probably more to be found via discount sites.

As to the recommendations directly above, the Aloft is by the airport and the Four Points is on Race Street, behind the Convention Center on the border of Chinatown. Neither is in a location where I would want to stay, even for a night. I would be more inclined toward the Sheraton or Society Hill Sheraton, the Hyatt on the River, or even the Holiday Inn on Arch Street (which are typically all within your budget).
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The concert is the night of November 30, and is being held at the Wells Fargo Center.

In the morning I need to get to the bus station at Filbert St., which is near the Gallery Mall (10th and Market St.). Greg
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you seen this website? http://www.wellsfargocenterphilly.com/directions.aspx
Why not take the train or Megabus instead of Greyhound the next day?
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Okay, now that you've given the absolutely bare minimum amount of information to start to answer your question, I suggest you proceed as follows:

1) Take at look at a map of central Philadelphia. This pdf
http://c0526532.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...n-map-2009.pdf
is a good start.
1a) If you use that map, note that the bus station is in section G5.
1b) Note also the blue dots along Market Street -- these are stops for the Septa Market-Frankford Line, aka the "Blue Line"
2) Look at a map for the above subway line at
http://www.septa.org/maps/transit/mfl.html
You'll see that one can easily get from any spot on Market Street to the 11th Street Exit, which is just two blocks from the bus station.
3) Look at a similar map for the Broad Street Line, aka the "Orange Line."
http://www.septa.org/maps/transit/bsl.html
Note how easy it is to get from the AT&T Station (ie, the "Sports and Entertainment Complex," which includes the Wells Fargo Center) to the Blue Line.

The above should give you some idea of where you can look for lodging -- pretty much anywhere along the Blue Line.

4) Go to any of a dozen multi-site search engines for lodging.
5) Do a search for lodging in Center City on the night of November 30.
6) Find if any place, with the amenities and price you require, also has vacancies for that night.
7) If necessary, with the information you now have, use a blind bid site to get the price down even lower.

You should be able to do the above in an hour or less. Again, you'll get a better answer in less time. Other than requiring more effort on your part, what's not to like?
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM

AT&T station? Seriously??? When did that happen? OP, if for some reason you need to ask for directions or help, please call it Pattison.

With that info, I'll reconsider my prior advice and suggest that the hotels behind the Convention Center on Race might be the best bet (eg the Four Points, Hampton Inn), given budget, @3 block walk in one direction to the Subway (which some people call the Broad Street or Orange Line, but most Philadelphians call the Subway) to the concert and @3 blocks in the other direction to the bus terminal. There is absolutely no need to take the L (again, also apparrently now referred to as the Market-Frankford or Blue Line) or a bus if staying in Center City.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM

> AT&T station? Seriously??? When did that happen?

It's been called AT&T Station for over a year now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_...#Naming_rights

As MLT correctly notes, you probably won't have to ride the Blue Line. I just mention that so that you know you can take any lodging from Penn's View to the Sheraton University City if you find one that meets your needs -- no additional cost to transfer to the Blue Line, and only a few extra minutes of riding. If you can save $20 by staying at a place for which you'll need the Blue Line, it'll be quite worth it.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Paul - Thanks for the info! We should add AT&T Station to a running list of names Philadelphians don't use (thereby confusing tourists), along with MLK Drive, Columbus Blvd and, yes, "Blue and Orange Lines". [I love you, Paul, and you give good advice, but your use of colors makes me suspect you take a train starting with R to actually get into the city. The "Paoli Local" perhaps?] Philadelphians have finally gotten to the point --20+ years later-- where most people now say Kelly Drive instead of East River, and Cecil B Moore instead of Columbia Ave. But honestly, the Franklin Institute will never just be "the Franklin." And AT&T Station? That one's NEVER gonna take.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM

MLT-
When I give advice to visitors, I try to give it in a form that will be useful to them. I'll tell a resident, "Go north on the Blue Route;" I'll tell a visitor, "Go north on I-476." What residents happen to call that expressway is completely irrelevant; the only question is what visitors will experience.

When getting on the Broad Street Line, visitors will see signs telling which of its tracks go to AT&T Station, as well as cars marked that way. They will NOT see signs or car marked with "Pattison." Sure, they could ask total strangers, "Which track goes to Pattison?". But why not just make it easy for the visitors, and not force them to do something they may not like doing in the subways of a strange city?

I know that the two subway lines are not called "Blue" and "Orange." But I use those abbreviations to (again) make it easy for visitors trying to follow the signs directing them from one line to another. The lines and signs are color-coded, and following the colors is easy -- so that's why I do it. The fact that residents generally don't use those terms is (again) irrelevant.

I agree it's useful to tell people some of the local slang. In that spirit I'd be happy to inform visitors what a radio announcer means when saying, "Watch for a gaper delay outbound on the 'Skoo-kill,' all the way from the Boulevard past the Curve and to the Blue Route. There's also traffic on the Vine from river to river, across the Ben and to Admiral Wilson." But I'm NOT going to use those terms to give directions to a visitor.

When I know visitors will use signage they see, and NOT the slang of residents use, I'm going to describe what they will see. Only later will I tell them the slang.