Hotel question

Apr 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Hotel question

Does anyone know of any reasonable priced hotels that are within walking distance of all the main tourist sites in Sydney?
Apr 14th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Yes - perhaps - depends what u mean by reasonable. Give us your definition and we may be able to help.

And if cost is important whether you would consider staying somewhere that is much better value for money but that might involve a 15min trip into the city.

Apr 14th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Somewhere between $60-100 dollars a night. Also, somewhere that is child friendly?
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Check out thread for Sydney B & B but if it is a hotel you really need then I saw a good deal advertised for Corus Hotel which includes breakfast. At present they want $110 per night. Minimum 2 night stay. This is close to The Rocks, though not in it, so cheaper.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Tassietwister..do you know if both of those places are child friendly?
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:22 AM

slad

I never saw your last post when I posted mine. For $60 to $100 a night you are talking backpacker or pub accommodation (which may not be too child friendly). Sydney real estate is very expensive.

For that budget I would recommend last minute deals that are a longer walk to the sights. Potts Point, Darlinghurst are your best options.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Tass can you recommend any hotels in Potts Point or Darlinghurst?
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:42 AM

try DeVere

Best one I can recommend
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Don't choose King's Cross or Pott's Point of you have a child.... there are lots of posts about this already if you do a search; King's Cross (and you can include Pott's Point in this, as many of the hotels that advertise themselves as Pott's Point are, for all intents and purposes, in King's Cross)is the sex-and-drug centre of Sydney, and also the centre of the absolute rock-bottom-price accommodation; you may be able to cope with this if you weren't taking responsibility for a child, but, if I were you, I'd look for something better. There are lots of very reasonably-priced hotels in good (i.e. safe)areas for under $100 a night, but if you want to be within walking distance of everything, you may have to make one compromise: many of these are share bath. Is that a problem for you? If not, check out the Criterion in Pitt and Park Sts and the Grand in Hunter St (its website is http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/...2/99/15/1.html), to name just two.

If you want to go just a bit further out and get something a bit nicer, then here are a few others to look at (most have websites, so a google search will turn them all up): The Cremorne Point Manor; Glenferrie Inn, Kirribilli; Wattle House, Glebe; Paddington Terrace, Paddington; Ardmore House, Newtown; Australia St Guest House, Newtown; McLaren Hotel, North Sydney; the Golden Sheaf, Double Bay.

Have a look at these and then tell us what's wrong with them, and we'll try to match your requirements more exactly.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Slad

The Darlinghurst/ Potts Point area can be colourful. This is great to some but scary to others. A bit norty but I always feel safe in the area, though amused. Some find it offensive. Just a warning. Best value accommodation though.

I did see one place at China Town ages ago that was great value and chinese are super family friendly but I just cannot recall the name of the place. Even though other end of town from the harbour it has loads of buses etc.

Right down town you have the options mentioned in the B & B thread. If they are child friendly or not best to email and ask.
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Anyone heard of Pacific International?

717 George Street

Seems great value , just can't picture where it is.
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Alan, can you recommend any hotels inside sydney that are not above a bar for $100 dollars a night?
Apr 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM

717 George St sounds like up near Central station. Not the fanciest end of town but probably quite convenient.

I don't stay in hotels in Sydney but I would second the suggestion that Kings Cross is possibly the least child suitable place - not just the afetr hours activities but also very few children live in that area and therefore the cafes etc are less likely to be set up for them.

I also think you should realise Sydney is supposedly the second most sprawling city in the world and nowhere will be within walking distance of "all the major tourist sights". If I were you I would probably look for a suburban motel near a train station.
Apr 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM

There is a lot of 2-3* places around central at the bottom end of george st.
The pacific international is one such place.
If you include the backpacker hostels etc there must be thousands of tourists staying there every night at economical rates.
Combine that with a green transport pass (about $40 for a week) and you are on the money if you are looking for value.

Also lots cheaper restaurants around.
Probably stay at around 1/4 of the cost of just a mile away around the rocks.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

The Pacific International Hotel is the new name for that old place on George St opposite Rawson Place. It's very close to the Sydney Central YHA. It's not a bad choice -- on the edges of Chinatown -- though a bit on the quiet side at night.

May I apologise forthe reservations I expressed about the King's Cross area -- I didn't realise that your child was less than a year old! I can't imagine he/she would be put out by the sight of hookers on the street corners or spruikers offering hotel rooms by the hour!
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Hi there-if you are familiar with priceline.com they have some pretty good bargains for Sydney. e.g. 5 star Sydney Harbour Marriott for US100 plus taxes & charges, around US25. Before you bid check out www.biddingfor travel.com for info on rules and how to bid for hotels on priceline. It is not brain surgery! You cannot choose the hotel by name but you can choose the star rating & area you stay and the limit you will pay. We've got some great bargains in Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong & Tokyo. BTW when you bid you must give a credit card and a US address. Use your imagination, if you get my drift, as everything is done by email. Post here if you want any further info. Good luck.
Apr 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Are you talking US dollars or our dollars? That makes some difference.