Search

CLOUD 9 OR VALLEY HOSTEL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLOUD 9 OR VALLEY HOSTEL?

Hi, please can anyone help with info on either the Cloud 9 Hostel or Valley Hostels in Brisbane. We are staying for 2-3 nights,January '06. Can't afford anything TOO expensive but don't want curfews & in a safe area. Any others we need to know about give details. Thanks
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:17 AM

hi there walesgirl.
Your European entries have assisted me many times so thought I would at least attempt to return some info. I live in Australia - and when my sister and I travel interstate, we use the website - www.dingoescape.com
for our bookings. I realise you may want to book prior to arriving in Oz. but keep your eye open on this website and you may see a hotel listed that falls within your price range even without the discount.
For info, we have been fortunate in finding a cheap booking for the Good Earth Hotel in Brisbane, (not always available of course) but is extra good value if you can obtain a discount.
Happy holiday, and hope you enjoy your visit to Australia. .... Jay
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:42 AM

Back again. My sister just mentioned that there is a Melbourne hotel where our relatives often stay, which has a similar hotel in Brisbane. I just checked on Google, and it could be of interest to you.
Explorers Inn Hotel, Brisbane
The best price I found for this hotel on some of the cheap sites was $99Aus. per night for a double/twin, without breakfast.
At least the google lists will give you some additional avenues to check through. Good hunting, Jay
ps. The Good Earth Hotel breakfast is outstanding: you won't need any lunch.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies, but we are looking for hostels. Can't afford hotels as we are travelling for 3 months & need to keep to a budget. Also going to Sydney, then New Zealand & Fiji.
Any futher input welcome.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM

The YHA Sydney branch have a summer 'hostel' Xmas-early January located at Manley; should the dates coincide with your visit, may be worth considering. Their website link is:
http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/detail...TOKEN=20342239
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 03:06 AM

There are loads and loads of hostels in Sydney, and enough in the other places you mention.

I would recommend the YHA in Sydney - Sydney central YHA is one I have stayed at (Glebe too but that's a little scruffier). Can't comment on the one in Manly.

Didn't choose to stay at the one in BRS. You have, I think, to learn to read between the lines with hostels. Where is it? what's the building like? how is it selling itself (which is pointer to the likely clientele). I stayed at "Somewhere to Stay" - they have a website - do a Google - south of the river, in a big old house. Great atmosphere, good rooms, lots of activities laid on (not that I did any of them). Kitchen facilities leave something to be desired - but they weren't important to me, and may not be to you either.

for other info check:

www.bugaustralia.com
www.yha.org.au

and don't assume you have to book in advance - sometimes if you just arrive and find somewhere you have the best times.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:16 AM

Walesgirl ... a further overlooked thought!!
www.ourbrisbane.com
has wonderful information on brisbane and surrounds - worthy of a glimpse.