Staying at a hotel or relatives

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok if you were invited to stay at a relatives home instead of staying at a hotel would you? You dont know the relative at all. The hotel isnt that expensive and you can cut it and prefer your privacy instead of staying at the relatives house. What would you do? You are trying not to be rude. My thing is I rather do the hotel.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM

definitely a hotel, unless they have 10,000+ sqft home and you get the west wing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We are going to Austria and will most likely be spending a night or two with relatives that I have never met. I am not sure if there is a hotel option nearby or not. I am hoping that someone speaks english in the house that I am in. I don't think it will be that bad.

Normally, I would choose the hotel option. It is much nicer to go back to the hotel to unwind. You can feel them out mentioning a hotel and see how they react. If it is one night, you can probably suck it up. If more than that, I would say you would like to make it easier for your relatives.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hotel, no contest!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM

How long of a visit are you talking about pgh? And I assume since you do not know the relative at all you have know idea what their accomodations are like. Personally, I would stay at a hotel..hopefully they have one somewhere in the vicinity of their home. And possible this relative invited you to stay with them out of politness but they could be relieved so to speak if you chose to stay in a hotel.

If you are talking about a one night stay and if you feel the relative really wants you to stay with then..well a one night stay isn't that big of a problem. But any longer than that, again I would stay at a hotel. Best regards.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM

hotel - no doubt about it!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:34 AM

Hotel - definitely!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM

"Oh, how kind of you to offer. But I have terrible insomnia (snoring, allergies, etc) and do so much better in a hotel."
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Hotel no question about it.

Agree with Gail be very polite in your refusal. As LoveItaly said this may make it easier for your relative.

Sandy
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:58 AM

Depending on when and where you are going - spend 1 or 2 nights with family and the rest at hotel. Tell them you want to stay closer to where the things you want to see before you leave are...or something to that affect.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
hotel - in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
cd

Hotel, hotel,hotel. Even if it's only for one night. Everyone is more comfortable, even the ones offering.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM

I would pick the hotel over a relatives home in almost all cases. I stayed once at my now SIL's apartment in Orlando. It was awful.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM

I would stay with the relative, so I could get to know them better. If they have offered to have you stay they obviously also want to visit and get to know you. DH and I have stayed with relatives and friends that we did not know all that well, and had a marvelous time and was so glad that we had accepted their gracious invitation.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even when I visit relatives I know and LOVE, I prefer to stay in a hotel. I spend most of my waking hours with them and enjoy their complany, but I also like down time to myself.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM

How did this invite come about? Did they offer it directly to you or was there some go-between. I ask, because it goes to how comfortable they are with you staying with them! Are they doing this because some intermediary set it up?

Is this a vacation or some type of family gathering? Will you be able to spend some time with them, getting to know them a bit, without staying with them Then perhaps, next time you will be more informed and can decide ya or nay.

How big/small is there home? Will they have a guestroom for you or will you be on a couch with kids running all over you?

Also, you don't say if you are alone or will have your spouse or SO with you. What do they think/feel? Is it your relatives or theirs?

That asked -- no way would I stay with them. For your sake [and I suspect, theirs] don't do it. It could put a damper on your vacation [if it is indeed a vacation] or even worse, your relationship with your spouse. It is simply NOT worth it. Pay the money, get a hotel room.

Been there, done that.

Deb

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM

I would stay at a hotel this time, though still get to know the relative better during your visit. Then maybe the next time. I've stayed with, and had people stay with me that I didn't know well. It's not a comfortable situation for anyone usually. I had one exception to that, but it doesn't happen often.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
kealalani

We were once invited to stay with strangers for a memorial of a loved one. Had no idea what their circumstance. Turned out they owned a 5500 acre ranch and we were guests to the most spacious guest suite imaginable.

If your gut says hotel, then go with your gut, but not knowing their circumstance could mean missing out on a n adventure.

When in doubt, blame your spouse. And let him blame you with his family!

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM

If you don;t know the relative at all - definitely do the hotel. It's likely the relatives are perfectly pleasant (but everyone has their eccentricities) and it's kind of awkward staying in the house of people that are essentially strangers.

This is much easier to deal with than to agree to say there, then arrive and find you don't want to (several very large over friendly dogs? odd eating habits? different standards of cleanliness?).

We have friends we don;t stay with since they let their (long-haired) cats eat on the table with the people. (I'm a true animal lover and we have always treated our pets as family - but they don't sit on the table and eat with us. They ate on the floor in the kitchen - from their own dishes on their own little place mats. I just keep thinking of their loose hairs flying into the food.)
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Oh god I hate staying at people's houses - even good friends.

You can almost certainly do a Priceline bid nearby. Go for it.

Your relatives will probably be relieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -