parking in NYC

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 05:25 AM
susan

parking in NYC

We will find ourselves in the dilemna of what to do with TWO cars for the day while in NYC. We will be driving in from NJ, spending the day in Midtown then picking up both cars and continuing to LI that night. Any ideas on where to park the cars for the day that won't cost a fortune? We don't even have to park them together. We could drop one off in one place and continue to midtown in the other. Or park the cars uptown and cab it from there?

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Lori

You could park in Hoboken, NJ and take the PATH train into NYC. I am not sure how much it would run you to park the cars there during the day, but probably around $50 for the two. The PATH is $1 each way into NYC.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:03 AM
thereuare

Garages in Hoboken will cost you ~$20/day OR in a city owned garage about $18 for 12 hours (these are each per car, but i will update later when i verify the actual costs).

Not much of big deal, but the PATH train is now $1.50 each way.

Another option would be to drive thru NYC in the morning and park in Queens, then take the subway into mid-town (and i'd assume you'd get an unlimited day pass for $4, so no extra train charge).

I don't know enough about parking in Queens so perhaps somebody else can help you with a precise location, but i think there is a mall (Queen Plaza or something like that) that probably has affordable parking and is near a subway.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:38 AM
JJ

I understand that you don't want to pay a fortune. You also don't need the hassle of parking in NJ, going back to NJ and then going to LI. Parking in Queens and commuting on the V train is fine if you want to get aggravated.

My suggestion---spend about the same amount and stay in Manhattan. I live on the upper East Side and there are numerous early bird specials in the 70s through 90s on the east side. In fact, I had to dump my car off there last week and to park from 8 am to 6 or 7 pm was $10 tax included indoors with a major parking co like Central Parking Corp. (the one I used was on 81st and 1st but there are so many from East End to Lex).

Also, just as an alternative if the time is right, on M,Tu,Th and F there is no parking in the E70s to E87s from 8am to 11am. There are many people who get to these spaces about 10:30 (the latest) and gobble up these spaces before 11 am (many sit in there cars and listen to the radio until just before 11) and the space is good for a couple of days. Note that from 88th to 92nd it is 11am to 2 pm.

The best part is that it is 5 minutes from the upper East Side to the Triboro towards LI.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:43 AM
hamlet

Contrary to popular belief, parking in Manhattan does not have to cost a fortune. If you will be spending the day in midtown, the idea is to stay farther west, away from Rock Ctr and Broadway. One block can make a huge difference in cost. There are tons of garages between 9th and 12th Avenues that will cost between $10-18 for the whole day. You don't say want day of the week you are going but if you are going on the weekend, and you get in before lunch time, chances are you can find street parking if you are willing to do that. If you are going during the week, there are many garages, even those closer in, that have in by 10, out by 6 parking for reduced rates. The idea of parking cars uptown and then taking cabs defeats the whole purpose of not spending a fortune.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:44 AM
al

I seem to remember a thread not too long ago about a really cheap outdoor parking lot at a hotel on 10th Avenue in the 50's. Only problem is that I can't remember the name of the hotel. Let me do a little searching around here and I'll top the thread -- unless Fodors chose to delete it.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:55 AM
al

Susan, can't find the thread I was looking for, but check the one about cheap(er) parking in NYC that I topped for you. The place I was thinking of may be have been in or near the Skyline Hotel on 10th Avenue, near 52nd Street.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:04 AM
xx

If you are going to spend the day in midtown west (theater district) and if it is your intend to be on your way to LI by 7pm drive right into the area. Most garages have an early bird special (in by 10, out by 7) that will cost no more than $12 for the day.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:35 AM
carole

My husband and I have discovered this gem:

There is an indoor garage under the West End Towers that is located on the dead-end of W 62nd Street to the WEST of West End Ave. They charge $6.13 plus tax for each 12 hour period and are open 24 hrs. a day. The rate is the same at all hours.

A cab ride to mid-town would cost little and there is a cross-town bus (M57) that stops right at the corner. It's a real find!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:41 PM
rqf

Carole:There is no question the garage you mention offers an excellent price for 12 hours parking. Lets do the math: Cost for two cars, with tax, will be around $15. Assuming two people in each car, bus tranportation both ways would be $12. Total cost for two cars - $27. Total cost for two cars in the Times Square area - about $25. Take a taxi to midtown - close to $5 each way. Total cost $25. Might as well have the convenience of parking close to the action since the cost is going to be about the same. And if more than four people are involved cost of parking on West End Avenue would be quite a bit more. In fact, if more than 4 people are involved cabs should be used in they park at the West End Avenue garage. The open parking lot across the street from the place you mention is a bit more expensive but they provide a free shuttle service to stops on 57th St.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:35 AM
ttt

ToTheTop for Mark