NYC parking

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC parking

I just moved to Queens from NJ and wanted to know what are the easiest neighborhoods in Manhattan to park in. I know the subway/LIRR are easy, cheap, etc.. but I am comfortable driving in the city and would prefer not to take mass transit late at night. Thx for the help
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Where are you working - that can make a significant difference. And are you asking about parking on the street in Manhattan?

If so, its' essentailly impossible in any business district - you really need to use a garage. (There is no parking on main avenues and parking on side streets is strictly limited - mostly for either diplomats or truck loading - or else very limited in time.)

It is posible to park on the upper east or west side on the side streets - but you then need to avoid the alternate side of the street parking rules - and after work would need to take a subway ride/walk of 30 minutes or so to get to your car. In those areas around 8 am you should be able to find a spot by circling for no more than 10/15 minutes or so. (Caveat: in snowy weather or on holidays - there are over 30 "street" holidays in NYC since it includes the major holidays of most major religions - you will not find a spot.)

Frankly - commuting from Queens into Manhattan by car is close to madness - and you will really have to find a garage for a reliable parking spot. You can probably find a monthly (day only) for less than $300 a month if you search. You might start with icon.com.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM

tigers213:
I live on the upper west side, and in my noeghborhood, all of us with cars go out at least a half hour before the alternate side of the street rules change on various days, so we can get a place to park. I wouldn't actually call this an easy neighborhood for parking because there's heavy competition, and you're adding a big chunk of time to your day just for dealing with it. Also, be aware that parking tickets here are very expensive.

There's a big outdoor lot on the far west side around 59th or 60th street that has a shuttle bus that travels around midtown, but there again, parking taxes in the city are around 18 percent.

Maybe you can try it for two weeks and then reconsider your options. Many, many people take mass transit between NY and Queens.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I actually work in Brooklyn and don't HAVE to go to the city.. and I am talking about street parking (I know it's awful but some places have to be less awful..)

I basically want to know what neighborhoods are easiER to park in at dinnertime/bartime for when I want to go out in the city with my friends from Jersey but don't want to go back to Queens alone on a train late at night. I dont' really have a neighborhood preference at all.. I love the whole city and would go out just about anywhere! Thanks for the help
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Bus/subway/cab/car service

There is no easy parking in Manhattan, unless you want to pay the big bucks and park in a garage.

If safety is your concern, NYC's public transportation is crowded until past midnight on weekends, and therefore quite safe. You're probably more likely to get car-jacked.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

That depends on what you mean by dinnertime/bartime. If yuo go very early - around 7pm you might find places to park on the street in uptown residential places. But much later than that (real dinner time or club time- 9pm on) most everyone will have parked for the evening and it will be much harder.

As for downtown areas - not my expertise - except parking there is even harder at all times.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM
rqf

Street parking in Brooklyn is not as difficult as it is in Manhattan. Alternate side partking, for example, is in effect only two days a week in many parts of Brooklyn. My son currently lives in Brooklyn on 8th Ave. near the park and he has no difficulty in finding a spot. He used to live in Carroll Gardens and parking was even easier in the area where he lived. If I lived in Queens and worked in Brooklyn there is little doubt in my mind that I would travel by car. The best way to determine the parking situation is to visit the neighborhood where you will be working.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I live in Queens and work in Downtown Brooklyn. I drive. I use way less than $2.00 in fuel so I save over taking a subway.

I leave Jackson Heights at 0830 daily and arrive in Brooklyn in 15 minutes. I park on Nassau St, Sands St, Navy St, Park Ave, etc... no problem.

I hang out on the Upper East Side (First Avenue 70's 80's). I just make sure that I go there after 1900 hrs. At that point you have plenty parking and I have a quick trip home over the 59th st bridge.

I go to the West Side once in a while and also have no problem. In other words, all of Manhattan has plenty on-street free parking after 1900 hrs.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I ignored the article I read earlier today, but I think it was something about the NYC pols are going to eliminate the $$ Sunday parking that they started a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a link