Palo Alto French Restaurant?

Aug 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Palo Alto French Restaurant?

Will be staying in Palo Alto a couple of nights. Previously, I had a recommendation on this Forum for a french restaurant nearby. I've tried a variety of searches, but can't find the thread. So -- I'm asking again. Through a google search, I've located "Le Pot au Feu" and "Le Petit Bistro". Can anyone commment on one or both of these? Thanks!
Aug 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM

Le Petit Bistro is a very small family-run restaurant on El Camino in Mountain View, which is very close to Palo Alto. We've eaten there a few times over the years and have been pleased with the welcoming atmosphere and food. It's about five minutes from our house!

There's a nice French restaurant in Palo Alto by the name of L'Amie Donia. I read that it is closing because the chef/owner is shifting her focus, so you may want to check.

Have you ever used Chowhound (www.chowhound.com)? Find your way to the SF Bay area section and do a search for <French restaurant Palo Alto>.
Aug 1st, 2004, 07:42 AM

Kathy,
Le Pot au Feu in Menlo Park has been around as long as I can remember (40 plus years) and has recently changed hands, with mixed reviews. We've eaten there a few times and liked it, but with all the great places to eat around here it is hard to justify going back. It would be a good choice however. Have not been to Petit Bistro, so I can't comment. Bistro Elan is a place that you might want to try. We love this place. L'Amie Donia is another of our favorites, but I think Donia has sold it and I've not eaten there recently, but it might be worth a try. Another option would be Chez TJ in Mountain View. I know you inquired about French places, BUT I must mention our favorite place to eat out in Palo Alto is Osteria in downtown. They have some of the best pasta I've tasted and the polenta with mushroom ragu is mouth watering! Great prices, wonderful, friendly service and a lively environment.
-Bill
Aug 1st, 2004, 07:55 AM

Friends took us to the excellent Left Bank in Menlo Park, quite near Palo Alto. I highly recommend this restaurant--the menu offers a wide range of dishes, and the atmosphere is very French.
Aug 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll research the restaurants suggested!
Aug 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM

Bill, I love Osteria!
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

So I assume Osteria is Italian, but worth giving up a French Restaurant for? We've really cut down on Pasta, are there choices not laden with Pasta?
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM

Yes, Osteria has non-pasta choices too. They usually have at least one fish special. They have the usual suspects as well...saltimboca, picatta, osso buco that are all usually excellent. It's not a fancy place at all, so if your looking for something higher-end, you'll probably wan to go elsewhere.
-Bill
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Not necessarily looking for a fancy place-- just looking for good food, good value and a pleasant atmosphere!
Aug 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM

It's a shame about L'Amie Donia