Paris Restaurant

Search

Paris Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Restaurant

Are there any new suggestions for a great, moderately priced, small restaurant in Paris?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:45 PM

What do you mean by moderate price? Also any preference as to type, location, etc.?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM

The Auberge de la Reine Blanche on the Ile St. Louis is very small, reasonable, and has good, &quot;homey&quot; food. This is not haute cuisine. They have a very nice and newly updated website: www.aubergedelareineblanche.com<BR><BR>The ambience is cozy; the walls are decorated with miniature antique furniture.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM

RonZ, I also would also love to get input into good restaurants. I will be staying in the 7th for 2 nights and then in the 9th (Opera Garnier area).<BR><BR>I would love to know about all favorite restaurants in all price categories, but I consider moderate as $25/person for lunch and $40/person for dinner.<BR><BR>I'll be looking forward to reading about your suggestions!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Royboy.<BR><BR>A few years ago we went to a relatively new restaurant (at the advice of a local) called Le Clos des Gourmet. It's in the seventh. The meal was superb, and the owner's wife was incredible. We try and speak French and use the French menu, but there was one dish my wife and I could not figure out. The owner's wife could not figure out how to say it in English, so she actually went and got a French/English dictionary to decipher what was on the menu. The food was exquisite.<BR>The service superb and the price tr�s affordable. It is a small restaurant and reservations are a must because I believe it won some awards that first year. A buddy of mine went a little over a year ago and also raved about it. As long as they are still running (you never know in the wacky world of restaurants), I highly recommend this place. Info is below<BR>Bon App�tit.<BR><BR>Le Clos des Gourmets <BR>16, avenue Rapp <BR>75007 Paris <BR>Tel: 01.45.51.75.61 <BR>The menu changes slightly every week, and daily additions are marked on a blackboard.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:23 PM

One of my favorites is the Ferme Saint-Simon, 6, rue Saint-Simon, in the 7th. It is about a half block south of the Boulevard Saint-Germain, and on the west side of the street. Telephone 01-45-48-35-74. It was recommended by Patricia Wells, and I go there every time I am in Paris now. It is within walking distance of the Orsay, so I often go there on Thursday evenings and dine at the Saint-Simon after. Enjoy! Boots
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Astier without a doubt! This is a wonderful neighborhood bistro in the 11th(Parmentier Metro stop). They have a four course meal (discovery style..meaning there are several choices of what to eat) for less than $30 US..they were recently featured in the NY Times Sunday travel section. The cheese chourse alone will astound you! We ate here twice on our trip to Paris and the memory of it lingers still. Reservations are essential.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM
rex

Although I have groused often enough abput non-specific terms like &quot;moedrate price&quot; - perhaps it would suffice to let the term be understood to mean - - those that are neither &quot;expensive&quot;, nor &quot;budget priced&quot;.<BR><BR>In every city, there is a spectrum, and across the bottom quartile of restaurants and the top quartile of restauirants differ a good deak from one location to another.<BR><BR>But aren't the prices for the two middle quartiles more similar than different - - even in the USA vs Europe?<BR><BR>About 15 to 30 USD (oe euro) per person for 3 courses without alcoholic beverages - - that's what moderate means to me - - in Columbus (Ohio), and I suspect in Vienna and Prague as well. I'll report back with fresh new &quot;data&quot; after our trip next month.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:17 AM
JN

Le Petit Troquet (spelling?) in the 7th is a wonderful little restaurant. Dimly lit, great food, nice wine list and very reasonable prices. Watching the owner do her magic in making the place run like clockwork, all the while humming along with music on the radio is a sight to behold. Downsides? Recommended by Rick Steves, so plenty of us americans there on any given night; smoking allowed, so it can get heavy.<BR><BR>If you do a search for this restaurant on this board, you'll find more info.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these great suggestions.<BR>To clarify what &quot;moderately expensive&quot; in Paris means to me: Not more than 50 US per person including a half bottle of wine.<BR>Location dosen't matter so long as it is in metropolitan Paris -- public transportation I find to be excellent.<BR>My perienal favorite is the Deux Theatres in the 9th,(I love the bloc de foie gras) but it is always interesting to find new places.<BR>The Auberge de la Reine Blanche I know, but we will check out all of the others.<BR>Browsing menus in Paris is wonderful!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Though it's not a new discovery, Chez Maitre Paul is certainly high on the recommended list in your price...especially the free-range children with the cheese and cream sauce.<BR>Dinner for two, including a glass or two or wine will cost less than 80 euro.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:55 AM
ira

HowardR, I am intrigued by &quot;...especially the free-range children with the cheese and cream sauce&quot;.<BR><BR> Do you have any idea of the recipe?<BR> What wine goes with?
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Loved Le Pamphlet in the third arrondissement, 38 rue Debelleyme, 01 42 72 39 24. We had a fantastic meal for a fixed price of 27 euros. Very creative and delicious, with lots of extras.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Howard i too am intrigued by the free range children.<BR>I'd like to try it but i hear there's very little meat on them and small bones are a hazard. I think i may stick to lapin in paris.<BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Ira, I have no idea, but whatever wine they use, it's perfect!<BR>Billor, if my memory serves me correctly, the portion was certainly more than adequate. And, (not meaning to sound sarcastic), we found no small-bone hazard.<BR>Incidentally, we went to Chez Maitre Paul based on the many recommendations on the forum.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Howard, there appears to have been a typo in your response -- no one was being sarcastic about the chicken dish<BR> <BR><BR>BTW, we stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons last April and kept our windows open at night. We woke up every morning to the smell of that free range CHICKEN being prepared for use in various recipes at CMP. And we agree...it was as wonderful at dinner as you describe!<BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:57 AM

To happy2travel<BR><BR>First of all, if you are near Opera, be sure to see Paris Story. This is a very clever multimeda show which plays hourly, on the hour. It is on r. Scribe, next door to the American Express.<BR><BR>Our favorite resto, Le Vaudeville is across the street from the Bourse, and a short walk from there. This is an attractive brasserie with terrific atmosphere. <BR><BR>The menu would be less, but here we order ala carte. Typical 84 euro dinner:<BR>2x6 escargots, or union soup [16]; 2 main course [34]; 2 salade verte [10]; 2 desserts [12]; 5ocl wine [12].<BR><BR>When there is a house wine, we never order a bottle. We like our water sans bubbles, so we get tap water--carafe d'eau [&quot;carafe dough&quot;]. Add for an appertif before, and a coffee at the end.<BR><BR>We like to have lunch at Le Grande Cafe, right off the Place de l'Opera on Capucines. Prices similar.<BR><BR>Can also highly recommend Chez Maitre Paul, which I read about on this board. Lunch menus at 28 and 33.<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Another vote for Chez Maitre Paul!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:37 AM

To uhoh:<BR>I meant that I didn't mean to be sarcastic. I know the original comment was serious. My point was that I did not want to sound insulting!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
After rereading this thread I can't stop laughing. Howard, please reread your original comment about the free range children at CMP. I'm sure you could use a giggle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -