Search

Minocqua/Woodruff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minocqua/Woodruff

What are some good places to eat at nearby? We'll be there for a week next month. Thanks!

Sue
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Bosacki's Boathouse is a Minocqua landmark, very casual, on Lake Minocqua. Been around for a long time. We don't go to Minocqua very often, but when we do, we stop there. I found this website, it shows the inside,outside and the menu. http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/bosacki/index.html
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Sue,

Should be a good time, probably busy. There are lots of choices depending on what you want. My tastes lean away from touristy. Try this website, most everything is listed:http://www.minocqua.org/home.asp

Ask your resort owner where the locals go, especially for the Friday fish fry.

Be sure and go to the Minocqua-bats show. It's free (well they do take up a donation) and a good time.

One other tip: Take lots of heavy duty bug spray. World record mosquitos call this area home and there have been big rains this spring.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM

A really good place for pizza is Spangs in downtown Minocqua.

Also a fun place to go is Little Bohemia restaurant in Manitowish Waters, north of Minocqua about 20 minutes or so. It was the site of a shootout involving John Dillinger and you can see the bullet holes in the walls!

Jacobi's restaurant in Hazelhurst is excellent for fine dining.

And a GREAT place for breakfast is the Little Swiss Village. Very cute/fun atmosphere and you get to watch the chipmunks run around their "houses" as you eat! http://www.littleswissvillage.com/

Have fun!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM

I second Little Bohemia in Manitowish Waters. It is a great place with wonderful food.

Also, the Fireplace Inn in Manitowish Waters is great. It has been a few years since I was there, but we had great food.

My family owns land up there and I miss spending time with them since I live in Indiana. Have fun!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM

We just got back from a week in the Northwoods - beautiful. We can't wait to go back. Loved all the little taverns throughout the area. We tried to conserve on food but found some great places anyway. Try Jenz's Lake Placid Inn just west of Minocqua about five miles for a great breakfast. Very good homemade cinnamon rolls plus great blueberry pancakes. Also enjoyed Black Bear Bar - good pizza and reasonable prices plus a fun atmosphere. It is on 70 just west of Minocqua. Had decent fish at S A Loons in Woodruff on a Friday night. I was kind of disappointed to learn that almost all of the fish in the famous fish fries is not local fish - but it was still good. Happened upon Four Seasons Resort which is in Arbor Vitae on Big Arbor Vitae Lake. Owned by a retired police chief and his wife is chef - unbelievable fried chicken and the fried fish was really good plus they serve it with potato pancakes. A wonderful view as it is right on the lake. Otto's in Minocqua was just OK - expensive beer but the music was good. Have fun - we are going back!

Pam
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

We actually plan to have our own fish fry on Friday with the perch and walleye we catch! But I'd like a place for steaks mostly. Is the Whitetail Inn still there? Any comments on Blink Bonnies , The Plantation, Norwood Pines Supper Club or in Boulder Junction, The Guide's Inn? What is the food like at the Fireplace Inn and Little Bohemia? Thanks again.

Sue
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask if any of these restaurants are log or knotty pine, besides the Whitetail Inn.
And is Paul Bunyan still around? We used to go there for breakfast.

Sue
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:48 PM

We live in Chgo and have a summer cottange in Minocqua. WE LOVE Norwood pines. Great steak and seafood and nice atmosphere. Jacobies very good too but like atmosphere of Norwood pines...great breakfast place is the
" ? Cafe" in town...cant remember the name. Its a greek family owned restauratn (not greek food) GREAT breakfast good coffee. If you are out boating a good place to dock is Lakeside landing. Bosackis is ok...good location..food just ok in my humble opinion. Plantation old fashion supper club..great fish dont be put off by decor which is outdated. Thirsty whale has new menu (very good-fish fry on Friday also has cajun style which is nice for a change...this used to be a bar with limited menu..this year they updgraded..same for SA Loons. Best Italian is SPANGS (Pizza is great!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We just returned. It's the Island Cafe and was also recommended by someone else. I guess we should have listened and gone for breakfast. The dinner was only okay. Wish there had been room to sit outside, which was beautiful. Ella's was also recommended--didn't make it there. Spangs did have excellent pizza! Little Swiss Village was also worth the trip. The walleye at Lakeside was very good too and a great price--$8.95. Didn't see the Thirsty Whale or SA Loons. Next time we'll try Norwood Pines or maybe Solem's at Timber Ridge Country Club. Is that as nice as Norwood Pines? Horhays coffee was an attractive place and had the best iced mocha I've ever had! Otto's Beer Hall had a pleasant beer garden, though none of us had beer or brats.
And the Baker's House on Milwaukee street has the best kringles ever!

Sue