Search

Our cab and hotel experience in NY!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM
esd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our cab and hotel experience in NY!

My "Part 1" got lost so I wanted to say a bit about these 2 things and have it found in the NY section.

The person who advised 'tell the cab driver to take the 59th street bridge was 'right on'. Our ride from LGA to midtown via the midtown tunnel on a Wednesday (the 6th) at 3pm cost $41.70 (incl. the toll) + a tip! Our ride in extact reverse on Saturday at 1PM via the bridge was $24.10 + a tip. A big difference, even allowing for less traffic on Saturday. I mentioned the bridge on Wednesday but he said traffic that way would be worse (it was pretty bad via the tunnel!) and it would cost more. Anyway, that's our 'airport to midtown' cab report and the only time we took a cab while there.

Now our hotel..the Comfort Inn Midtown. Wonderful! Great room (807, completely re-done and spotless, king bed, large flat-screen TV, in the rear and very quiet, free breakfast, papers in the morning, free local and 800 calling, a couple of computers for guests to use and a wonderful staff) and all in a great location! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. I found a great senior rate in November for our February stay..$121.49 + tax and even I can't believe our good fortune on finding THAT room for THAT price. But even if I had to pay more in the future, and I probably would, I would still choose that hotel.

One more comment. The weather, for February, couldn't have been better. On Wednesday we went out that evening with a sweater only! A jacket was needed for the next couple of days but it still was not bad. A slight drizzle off-and-on Saturday was the extent of any 'bad' weather.

We had a wonderful time...there is no place in the world like NYC!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:32 AM

To find your past posts, just click on your ID anywhere it appears (in a post, at the very top of the page after "Welcomequot;, etc.).
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:46 AM
esd
Original Poster

Thanks. I didn't know that.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM

esd--You had a great week. Yesterday it was 11 in NYC and today it's warmed up to 19.

It's good to hear the report on the Comfort Inn.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I liked the Comfort Inn Midtown, too; I chose it back when it advertised itself as the only all-nonsmoking hotel in NYC (not sure whether it still does). It's part of the Apple Core group, which are all good budget hotels. It's on W 46th near Times Square but on a quieter side block with wonderful restaurants.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Thx a mint for the post, esd.

You got a great price for your room. It sounded so good I just looked it up for a July 4th trip but rooms were $215!

Enjoy-la!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:41 PM
esd
Original Poster

I think EVERYTHING in NY is nonsmoking. I quit 5 years ago after smoking for 46 years. However, I'm not one of those ex-smokers who berates people who still do. I can and do relate to people who smoke having been there. All I ask is that they don't annoy others in the process which gives all smokers a bad name. And, though seldom, I still have moments where I wish I could have a cigarette!!

HOW did I get on this bandwagon! Sorry...back to NY....
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Au contraire, esd, most hotels will let you request a nonsmoking room but won't guarantee it.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
esd
Original Poster

Thanks again. I guess then that it's just public places where you can't smoke which would make sense.

I learn something new every day!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Whew. For some strange reason when I saw only the headline to this post, I was ready to send my apologies...
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:06 AM

I live in NYC and go to and from LGA every so often. Since I live near the 59th Street Bridge I always ask for them to go that way. I swear to God, half the time the cabbies start giving me a hard time no matter how sweetly I ask, giving me the same excuse esd got "there is too much traffic". Sorry, guys (the cabbies), but I have never had too much traffic on the bridge! In NYC it is the law to let the passengers decide which way they want to go. It's on the Bill of Rights sticker in the back of the cab! Please do not let any cab driver convince you otherwise.

My new best method of revenge is "Well, if you are going to give me a hard time and revoke my rights, then I can either get out of the cab and not pay you or I WILL USE YOUR CREDIT CARD MACHINE INSTEAD OF PAYING CASH!!!" They all hate the machine, it costs them more, blah blah blah...so that usually shuts them up.

UGH...your experience frustrates me! But I'm glad you had so much fun here and that the hotel worked out. it's the cab thing...They want the quickest route so they can get more passengers.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Your inbound experience is the reason I use a car service to Manhattan on weekdays. It costs somewhat (not hugely) more, but then you don't care what route the driver takes because the cost is fixed for you. They have an incentive to take the best route since the sooner they get you to your destination, the sooner they can go to another customer.

On the other hand, if I were going from Manhattan on a Saturday, I would do as you did and take a cab.

I love Abby43's "credit card" ploy! Once when I was in college I took a taxi to the Guggenheim for a show I needed to see for an art history class. The driver took a highly original route, until I called him on it. I guess he thought a kid wouldn't know. I left the fare -- no tip -- on the back seat and the back door open so he had to get out and come around to close it. I am not so bent on revenge these days, but there is still a certain satisfaction!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
esd
Original Poster

I hope others arriving at LGA and planning to take a cab read all this and "order" their driver to take the bridge! And if you actually look at a map, it looks like you have to cover more ground by going south in Manhattan to the tunnel and then turning back north in Queens to get to LGA..at least it SEEMS to be back-tracking somewhat on the other side of the river!

"IF" I ever get back to NY I will not be swayed by the cabbies dire warning of a huge meter increase via the bridge!! And Abby, should he put up a stink, I now know exactly what to do!

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:56 AM

I've had quick trips over the bridge. I've also been stuck in an interminable traffic jam approaach to the bridge of the Queens side.

This past Friday night at 11:45 pm was smooth sailing by taxi form LGA to East Village via the tunnel--just over $26 with toll.

Timing is everything.