Opryland horror??

Feb 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Opryland horror??

What's wrong with Opryland? I've never been there but may be going in June to a convention and the room will be paid for by my company. Is it the food, service or rooms? Should I stay someplace else? Thank you.
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM

It's been a few years for me, but our room at the Opryland Hotel was really quite nice. It was spacious and fairly nicely decorated (but very cheap furniture and fabrics).

The only thing I had a problem was I couldn't get a decent drink in any of their bars. I kept trying to order a Dewar's Dry Robroy (trust me, I'm an expert at what they should taste like) and I had to keep sending them back -- no resemblance to the actual drink. Finally I was told that all liquor in the bars comes in via tubes from a central point. Somehow whatever happens to the Dewar's beteen that storage point and my glass was sinful!! I had to switch to beer, which was actually in a bottle.

By the way, I despise country music and was practically dragged to Opryland, but I had a wonderful time there, and was surprised to find it isn't all about "country" and I even (blush with shame) ended up liking some of the country stuff too.
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Dancer: There were things I liked about he Opryalnd Hotle and things I didn't:

PRO

1) Room was very large and nicely decorated.
2) Staff was very efficient, nice and friendly.

CON

1) Hotel is so huge, I kept getting lost.
2) The drinks were fine but the food, especially Room Service, really sucked.

Hope this helps.
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM

I had supper there before the Grand Ole Opry show. We got lost. The place is HUGE. When I found the restaurant (nothing like a grumpy, hungry, lost person judging the waitstaff) I found the service exceptional and not hovering.

When my brother and sil went there they were given a map to their room at checkin.

I would plan to stay on site and bring orienteering gear.
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM

The biggest negative for me was the fact that it was convention central & everything that entails (loud, noisy, big groups). But since you're going to the convention, that will be a plus, right? The place is huge & it's easy to get lost. I wouldn't choose this for a vacation but a convention, why not?
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM

LOL Patrick! I was 'forced' to go to the Opryland Hotel for a sales meeting a few years ago, absolutely dreaded going (NOT a fan of country music AT ALL) and ended up having a great time! (for a biz mtg)

dancer0707, the hotel IS very nice, wonderfully lush atriums (altho they were renovating the lobby), food was good compared to other mtg hotels, and a good place for a convention. I loved getting lost -- and late -- for sessions, and it was easily excused!

Didn't see much outside the hotel though. You know how THAT goes
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM

No don't stay somewhere else. The hotel is beautiful to see, even if you do get lost. Beautiful atriums and waterfalls inside the hotel. Yes it's huge, but we really enjoyed our stay there. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the indoor gardens and loved it.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:34 AM

When I was in Nashville, we went to the hotel just to check it out - we assumed it would be horribly tacky but in a fun way. Actually it was much nicer than we expected! And we had fun getting lost. I would definitely stay there.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Horror just about sums it up for me. My last visit was a few months ago.

The atria do have nice plantings but are otherwise pretty darn tacky, the food is generally poor, the place is huge and hard to negotiate, and the rooms (my room and the rooms of all the people I talked to at the meetings I've attended there) small, dark, and depresssing. Low ceilings particularly difficult if you're claustrophobic.

Difficult to stay someplace else, as it's way outside of town.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM

We stayed a week there for a convention a few years ago -- and I'd go back again, willingly.

Beautiful rooms, charmingly southern furnishings throughout the hotel, great dining in the hotel restaurants (the convention only included one group dinner and 2 breakfast buffets), and true southern hospitality from the staff.

Next time, I'm taking my rollerskates though -- that place is truly h-u-g-e!
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your input. We'll be at Opryland for 5 days so by then I'm sure I'll find my way around!