Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Check-in: Do you prefer old fashioned w/ humans & big imposing desk or .....

Search

Hotel Check-in: Do you prefer old fashioned w/ humans & big imposing desk or .....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read an interesting article in the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/tr...tml?ref=travel

or use this link --

http://tinyurl.com/hj8ng

about the hotel check in process being switched FROM the big desk, human contact, time consuming process TO: self serve kiosks that dispense room cards/keys AND to the use of podiums with humans to take the employees out from behind the desks and be more among the guests.

I have noticed the podiums showing up more and more lately when I check in and I am not sure I like them. Maybe it just seems so different, can't really put my finger on why.

I would not like to use a self-serve kiosk. I am often the recipient of an upgrade and or other goodies that I can't see a kiosk giving out. I also like to make my room requests [high floor, end of hall etc] when I make my reservations, but want to be sure desk person knows this when I check in. I don't want to have to go all the way to a room and find out its not what I requested. Granted, when I am tired and just want to get to my room -- I don't want to hear all of the features of the hotel {as least, not at that moment}.

What do you think?

Debi
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I want a human behind a desk anytime. Not some machine. If I have questions such as where is the nearest restaurant etc I want human response. This world is getting to machine crazy. Bad enough on the phone when I want to talk to a live person and all you get is press 1, press 2, blah blah blah. Oh well, nuf said. JMO
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Interesting article, thx for posting it.

I can see a lot of biz travellers using it - been to the hotel multiple times, know all about it, only there for one night, etc.

The web-check in from handheld devices that the Marriot is testing is in the locale of Microsoft's HQ of course.

Personally for biz I'd prefer a kiosk, for pleasure the front desk.

Enjoy-la!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
TheWeasel

Self-serve kiosk is my preference. I've done enough research on the area I'm in to know where I want to go and what to do, so I really don't need a front desk person to make recommendations. I've used a kiosk and been checked in faster than a human could do it - and that's not counting the time wasted standing in line at the desk.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Kiosk will be great. Sure I'll need to do some research about room locations, but that also mean I don't have to act like an ass (or a prima donna) to ask for a room that's "non-smoking, on a high floor, facing the harbor and not the city, as far away from the elevators but not next to the stairs or ice/vending machine, and won't have any noise from the pool".
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Well - I'm a business traveler, often with one night stays and I would't touch a kiosk with a barge pole.

I want to deal with a live person who can take care of my special requests (not near elevator, not near ice machines), give me a chance at upgrades or other special goodies.

If they can;t bother to keep a real person behind a desk they'll lose my business.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I've had good front desk people and bad. If I'm going to get the insincere, fake smiles but unhelpful attitude I got last week at the Doubletree in Portland, Maine, I'd much prefer a kiosk.

Andrew
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Oh - and as for the benefits of computers - I find the computer bills they slip under my door at night so I don;t have to "bother" to check out - are wrong at least 25% of the time. I think they hope you won;t notice the strange charges (usually movies or mini-bars - I think from the previous guest).
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM
TheWeasel

"and as for the benefits of computers - I find the computer bills they slip under my door at night so I don;t have to "bother" to check out - are wrong at least 25% of the time. I think they hope you won;t notice the strange charges "

Are you referring to the computers as "they" or the humans who generate the bill? I don't really see how checking out at the front desk will eliminate the mistakes - they (front desk staff) use the same computer to generate the bill whether it's slipped under your door or handed across the counter. Granted, you can fix the mistake instantly when standing at the front desk, but the 75% of the time (in your estimation) that the bill is accurate, you're wasting your time standing in line to checkout.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

I like the hotels that let you view your bill on the TV, that way you can keep an eye on the charges before the final bill comes. And if there is mistake, you can catch it fast.

If the final bill is correct, I just leave key in room and am on my way [or drop it off where ever they want]. I hate to stand on lines!
Debi
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM

I refuse any type of self serve service. Yesterday and Friday I went to IKEA and Walmart and they had self checkout and I waited in the longer line with a human. I do want more Americans employed and I am always afraid I'll screw up and get charged more for something because I don't know how anyone's computers work since I don't use them daily.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I think I would like to try a kiosks especially when I'm very tired and want my room more than a chat. Definately love delivered billing under door eliminating check out. Hilton Honors has really spoiled me with this and I love it! I have never found a mistake and can file my papers packed away to simply be on my way. Also love kiosks for airline checkin!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM

I really like the bills in advance, because if they're correct, I'm done. If not, well at least I can take my time looking at it, then go down to the human at the front desk to change it. I hate getting the final bill at the front desk, and having to scrutinize it with a line of people behind me.

The kiosk for check in would be nice if I'm just wanting to get done and don't care about my room. Many times I would prefer having the possibility of upgrades and special choices that comes with a human.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Interesting thread. I am a programmer analyst who once worked full time in the hospitality industry, and even now work p/t at a hotel front desk - for the fun of it, actually. I must travel a lot in my f/t job. I am not a techno-phoebe and think that since this IS the hospitality industry that we must remain hospitable. But we've got to be efficient too. I like the idea of kiosks, but I think clerks should be available too. The way that I've long considered to allow less time doing clerical duties and more time tending to guest needs is that if they could make a device that contained all the info a hotel might normally expect from a guest. The guest would have the ability to withhold certain info. The device could then send standard info (name, address, company, vehicle, etc to the hotel PMS, releiving the clerk of those duties.

I've other ideas too, but this being a travel forum, I save them for a tech discussion forum.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:07 AM

I travel so much for business that my dream is to have my room key waiting for me IN the hotel car when it picks me up at the airport so I can bypass the front desk or kiosk completely and check in by Blackberry or the driver's handheld while in the car. The remote check-in would of course have already pre-recorded all my preferences (high floor, non-smoking, not near elevator) and will have a floor map showing me the exact location of the room allocated to me, so that in the event I am not happy with the room, I can stop by the desk when I arrive at the hotel (or call the front desk from the car) and change it. Now THAT is technology that would serve me. I would not miss the desk clerk at all...

Outside of my dream which I know can happen and I eagerly await that day, I would have no problem with a kiosk if that means no lines in the lobby. As I am usually waiting in a line in the lobby at the JW Marriott Mumbai at 1 am after an international flight with a layover in Bangkok of 3 hours, a kiosk becomes extremely attractive over waiting in line for a desk clerk. Ditto waiting in line to check out at 2 am for the 4:50 am Cathay departure. You could program the kiosk to have a floor map so you could choose your room. That would be quite easy. If you can't get the room you want, then you could go to a live person.

I agree that on a vacation or a honeymoon you might have a completely different agenda, so I doubt you are gong to see kiosks at resort hotels, but I do think you will see them at business hotels. (Does anyone miss check-in counters at airports with those oh so friendly airline personnel keying in all those mysterious letters and numbers??!!!) The hotel desk will still be there to help with restaurant reservations, etc. I would rather have them spending time doing that job than simply checking people in or out.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM

Well - it's true perhaps 75% of bills are right on check out. but I've never found the lines that long as to be onerous.

However, the check in issue is the real one. I'm not willing to give up the perks I get at the desk - and I'll bet the computers aren;t authorized to give them out.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM

I love self-service amything - airline kiosks, self check-out at supermarket, self-serve gas, booking hotels and air on line - as long as there is someone around to answer questions, deal withg the machine if I screw it up.

I deal with people all day at work - both as patients and the staff I supervise who care for them. Machines do not put me on hold, always have an "English" option, always pay attention and generally follow my directions if they are clear. That is more than I can say for many clerks.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM

I too am all for self-service. I don't ask for or require much when staying in a hotel so I would love to be able to get my key faster without having to check in with someone.

Tracy
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM

I do like the personal touch and feeling welcomed to the hotel so generally would prefer the old-fashioned way. However, once when I was checking into a hotel in Vegas the line to the desk was very long. There was an option for kiosk check-in which I gladly took advantage of.

I guess the ideal would be to have both options available!