Notices

Help..San Diego area vacation...

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help..San Diego area vacation...

My husband and I are planning a three day trip driving from LA (visiting relatives,we are from Florida)to San Diego area, in mid September. We want to make San Diego our base and take short day trips to: Newport, Laguna, and La jolla. We don't have kids and like quiet, peaceful, trips...no kids. We were just in Orlando and the kids were driving us crazy (no offense to parents). We like out doorsy things like hiking, biking. Are these day trips reasonable from San Diego?
How about Palm Springs, as an alternate idea? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Jenni
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Take the Old town trolley. On your way from LA dont forget to visit the San Juan Capistrano mission.Paul
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:10 AM

From San Diego to Newport or Laguna is over an hour and a half. San Diego PEople do this as day trip all the time, but I would instead fly into LAX then stay somewhere closer to Newport at first, then make one drive ans stay in La JOlla. Much more relaxing than back and forth. Palm springs is an even longer drive.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM

San Diego is beautiful and you can visit La Jolla and other areas around San Diego. In fact, for hiking and biking I'd maybe stay in La Jolla or the Torrey Pines area. Coronado is beautiful too and you can bike around there. Plenty to see and do in 3 days. Don't miss Balboa Park with all the museums and beautiful gardens. It happens to also house the famous zoo.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
ltt

if you want to see newport, do it on your drive down from la to san diego. laguna beach is a a wonderful spot to go to from san diego for 1/2 or full day. take the freeway 5 one way and then take the coastal route the other. la jolla is part of san diego so no big drive to go there. torry pines state park is a nice area to walk around and nice beach too.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM

3 days is hardley enough to see even S.D alone let alone drive all over for "day trips." They are not short drives. La Jolla yes that is fine, one day there. but Newport and Laguna is far rd trip.Or worse yet Palm Springs. See Laguna on your way down from LA. You can go to Mission Beach and rent bikes and ride along the cement wall. You can hike all over Balboa Park, see the Zoo. Go to Coronado Island and rent bikes there as well. Great biking in S.D. But try and stay there or you will certainly wear yourselves out.