Notices

Quick trip report--San Diego

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick trip report--San Diego

Just got back yesterday from a 4 day business trip to San Diego, although I was able to do some fun stuff during the trip.

We stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp Square hotel, which I really liked. In contrast to the huge, Marriott Marina hotel, this location was smaller and had really nice rooms (especially beds). There are a number of nice hotel options downtown; a new Hard Rock looks tempting.

My only trip to San Diego was as as a child. Needless to say, I didn't recall much in the way of nightlife or restaurants from that trip. San Diego is a great convention/business traveler city as the airport is a short 7-10 minute drive to the Gaslamp and Convention area, and most restaurants and hotels are in the compact area.

We ate at Croce's, Dobson's, La Fiesta, and Sheerwater in the Hotel del Coronado twice. Liked all of the food, but especially LOVED the Del. I would definitely stay there or at the Lowes on Coronado island as it was such a charming area.

I told my husband that if the Saints play the Chargers in SD in the next couple of seasons, we have to go to that game as the stadium is right next to downtown. What a great setup--kind of reminded me of Nashville in that respect. Probably makes for a very liquid tailgate!

We didn't go to the Zoo unfortunately, though I have been before and recall fondly how wonderful it was.

In short, great business trip and would highly recommend San Diego for a weekend trip, especially fun bachelor/ette party or girls weekend venue.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
MaureenB

We were in San Diego for the Neuroscience conference last week. The town was swarming with scientists, wasn't it?

I totally agree with you about San Diego. We stayed at the Omni and loved it. So many nice places to walk from there. The Seaport Village area and the Marine harbor were a nice walk from the hotel.

We ate at Acqua al 2 in Gaslamp, McCormick and Schmick's, The Palm, Sally's (at Seaport Village), and George's in La Jolla. So many great restaurants.

We love San Diego, too. Glad you enjoyed it there.
>-

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
TahitiTams

Great reports on SD!
Glad that you both love my city..
Speaking of scientist's..
Jonas Salk was a dear friend of mine along with Francis Crick and Kerry Mullis..I am way much younger than them but we would hang out at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and they were the greatest bunch of guys..
La Jolla has some great minds!

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

That's funny about the Neuroscientists! The last day of their conference was the first day of the attorney conference I went to.

We had reservations at the Palms & McCormick, but canceled them in favor of Del Coronado and Dobson's.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM
MaureenB

Jonas Salk was your friend? A seriously important scientist.

Yes, we have always loved San Diego. We lived in Big Bear Lake for a few years in the 70s, and we'd visit San Diego from there occasionally. Would love to retire someplace in California with an ocean view. Better work another 100 years to afford it!
>-

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
TahitiTams

Hi MaureenB..
Yes, and they all are really nice people.
It's a good quality of life in SD.

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM

mah1980, I'm glad you had a good time here.

The football stadium, Qualcomm Stadium, is not downtown. It's in Mission Valley, but it has its own Trolley station, so it's easy to get to.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Quess who is getting lucky next year?? The Chargers play the Saints next year but it will be in New Orleans and I can't wait to go. It is real easy to get to the Charger Stadium from the gaslamp area on the trolley.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM

You will need to plan ahead for the Charger tickets. We tried to get tickets to ANY of the games this year and apparently ALL the home games are completely sold out.

Tahiti - how interesting that you've known such amazing scientists. I met Francis Crick when he did a book signing at D.J. Wills' book store back when it was next to Margaret's Dry Cleaners! So it was quite awhile ago. Dr. Crick was so kind and unassuming, but such a major influence of every scientists who has come after him.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
TahitiTams

Hi nanabee..
Years ago, I worked at LJBTC during college and we had the greatest times talking and laughing..I truly loved these great guys!
All of them were very unassuming..all of them would hug me when they saw me and we would talk for several minutes and they always asked how things were going.
Ben of Dr. Spock was a great guy too..we had lots of talks and he belly laughed when I told him I thought his teachings of children didn't work..