San diego places to stay, things to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 5 days in San Diego, starting Dec 19th, 2007. I am dying to go to the Wild animal zoo. What else? Really anxious for the right place to stay. I hear you can overnight in the zoo, WHAT??!! LOVED The Pod Hotel in Manhattan, something cosy, not traditional, very clean. Any ideas? Thanks from Vancouver, BC
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM
TahitiTams

Hey Cat..
The roar & snore program at the Wild Animal Park would be a hoot and they have it going on when you are here..(619) 718-3000
San Diego is a gorgeous town and I would definately go over to the Hotel Del Coronado to see all the Christmas decorations..go to La Jolla and see the seals at Children's Pool and walk along the coastline..
Hike Torrey Pines and go to the SD Zoo too!
Expedia is great to get an idea what hotels cost..
I don't know what your budget is but look forward to hearing back from you so all of us can help you out!

hoteldel.com
torreypine.org

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much, great to hear from you, I will check those things out, any more ideas please keep them coming!
CB
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM

hi cat
tahiti has given you some great suggestions. i might just add the San Diego Mission (it was the first of the California Missions built in the 1700's).

The Estancia Hotel in La Jolla is a nice place, and very beautiful.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Make sure to visit Old Town. Also, La Jolla has a wonderful aquarium. Although small, it is really nice and the ocean views in the back are fantastic.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:33 AM

visit the ships in the Harbor. Lots of choices - from sailng ship Star of India to Aircraft Carrier Midway
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM

We stayed 3 nights in Coronado at the Hotel Del and loved it! We also enjoyed SeaWorld one day and La Jolla where we shopped on Prospect St. and enjoyed relaxing at the cove there. This is a great place to catch a sunset, also. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM

We did both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park in March. If I had to pick just one, it would be Wild Animal. I would have loved to have done the roar and snore, but it wasn't available that time of year. We did do the photo caravan and it was FANTASTIC!!. You get to feed several giraffe's at once. They just get on each side of the vehicle. We also fed several rhino's. It's pretty cool to give a rhino food. Their mouth is very big, and it looks like they could just take an arm off, if they wanted to. Be sure and eat fish taco's somewhere also. We went to the original Rubio's for that.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Rubio's does have good fish tacos, but even better are the fish tacos at El Pescador on Pearl Street in La Jolla.

YUM!!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM

you should check out the recommendations on the free online guidebook at www.frommers.com. it will outline everything you can do in SD. It's a gorgeous city. Definitely don't miss Wild Animal Park 30 miles north of the city. Will you have a car? You should plan on renting one as the city is very spread out and public transportation is not very convenient. The most popular places to see are Gaslamp/downtown, La Jolla, Coronado, Old Town. If you have more time, check out the Zoo, SeaWorld, Pacific Beach area, etc.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Nice beaches in Coronado, and I like the Gaslamp district also. I think there are still organ concerts at the Spreckles organ in Balboa Park. There was a Christmas concert on a Sunday just before Christmas one year that we went to. Check on line, as my last visit was in the late 90's to the concert.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks so mcuh for all the useful info. Will track it all down. Thank you! May try for La Jolla, for a cottage?? Thanks!!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM

you might want to go online to the local newspaper, La Jolla Light to see if they post the classified ads for rental cottages.
A few hotel suggestion are:
The Colonial Inn, The La Valencia, Hotel Parisian, Estancia.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Hi Cat,
We just came back from a week in La Jolla/San Diego. The Wild Animal Park, Sea World and zoo are all great; very clean, interesting and plenty of shady areas when the sun gets too intense. We stayed at The Grande Colonial Inn in La Jolla. Movie stars such as Gregory Peck, Charleton Heston and David Niven stayed there. Many rooms have views of the water. There are many great restaurants in easy walking distance of the hotel, as is the Children's Pool for viewing the sea lions. Downtown San Diego is an easy drive, 1-5 South, takes 30 minutes. The town of Coronado is worthwhile to see, 'specially the Hotel Del Coronado. We spent an afternoon in Old Town San Diego. We drove north up S21 (scenic road) to Oceanside. Great ocean views and saw too many shops and restaurants thru the various towns that we wished we had time to visit. (I'd skip Oceanside, though.) There are lots of different museums to see in Balboa Park. Even if you don't want to spend time in the museums, take a look at the architecture there and have a meal on the outside terrace of La Prado. Have fun; we did!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
TahitiTams

Hi Diana..
I live a block away from the Grande Colonial and always recommend people on this forum to stay there..its a gorgeous hotel and in a perfect location in LJ...did you stay in the new building next door?
Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the Prado and Coronado too..
I would skip Oceanside too..
So glad you had a great time in SD!

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Tams -
Every single time you post about where you live.. I turn a little green with envy! What a fabulous place to call home.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM

tahiti, i didn't realize you lived in the village. i'm a little further south in B.R.
my favorite hang out is warwicks, we've probably crossed paths!