Opryland area

Sep 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Opryland area

We're going to visit Opryland in January, and the reviews on staying at the hotel aren't very encouraging! Any advice on where to stay nearby? Looking for comfortable beds and quiet rooms. Also, where are your favorite places to eat in that area or downtown Nashville?
Sep 30th, 2006, 03:05 AM

After my first visit to Opryland several years ago I never wanted to go back, however, a convention I attend was held there again this year. I was pleasantly surprised. It is much larger but offers more. The fast food places are okay, the higher priced restaurants very good, and food seemed to be more readily available at later hours. Really enjoyed breakfast buffet in the gardens (sorry, already forgot which atrium that was but it's the closest to the lobby). We lucked into a great room close to an exit and close to the convention center. We ate once across the street at the fish place. Also once at the mall in the aquarium place. Decent food at decent prices. It's too bad that the amusement park is no longer there and replaced by a mall. It got weird after a few days because we were in that self-contained hotel and be prepared for walking. Getting to the food court island means navigating a maze of ramps and stairs. I would not stay at this hotel if I needed a wheelchair or had a walking handicap although it has hard to find elevators for wheelchair users. Our room was quiet. I kind of wondered about the people who paid to take a boat ride on the indoor river. It appeared the restaurants in the area are basically chains. I would think a downtown hotel would be more fun with access to better restaurants.
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM

I stayed at the Opryland Hotel & Convention center in August for a convention and it wasn't bad. The service at the hotel was nice and everything is very convenient. I really didn't have any complaints. I think it would be a good place to stay if you are traveling with several people since there is a good variety of restaurants and activities to keep people busy and it would be easy to kill time while waiting for others, etc. I don't have suggestions for other places in Nashville but did want to at least say that my experience at Opryland hotel was fine. While I personally didn't go there were others at the convention who enjoyed an evening at the Wildhorse Saloon.
Oct 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM

(hi hattie)
I love the hotel and go yearly with my daughters. It's great in the dead of winter to walk into a tropical rainforest. We stayed in one of the Atrium rooms and the desk clerk last year spent extra time finding a room that was just renovated. It was lovely, a big improvement. Also, the new fitness room is fabulous. The indoor pool is large enough for serious lap swimmers. We've been twice in January- last time there was a huge cheerleading competition. I'd definitely find out if they will be there- it was very annoying having to wait behind huge packs of girls everywhere. Elevators, shops, restaurants, etc. We all like the breakfast buffet at Rachel's Kitchen.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Update on trip: We stayed at a Courtyard within a mile of Opryland. From what I've gathered, the Opryland room experience depends heavily on which room you get, so just know that there's definitely differences in the rooms! The Courtyard Marriott shuttle worked fine back and forth, and we also parked at Opry Mills and it was an easy 5-mintue walk over, so we avoided the $12 parking fees. Courtyard was fine...a tad smaller than others we've been in, but fine. It was quiet, but then January is a quiet time for them. Service was good. We ate at Cascades in Opryland...it was very good. Also drove into town and ate at Zola's...again, a very good meal! Hillsboro is a fun little place to hang out for a bit...sort of like a 2-block taste of Asheville if you're an Asheville fan. We also had dinner at Sunset Grill...waiter was great, and made an average meal seem better. Great dessert sampler, though!