Iron Horse Inn-Durango

Search

Iron Horse Inn-Durango

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Horse Inn-Durango

Does anyone have any personal experiences with the Iron Horse Inn in Durango? It seems to be a nice, cheap place to stay-and with a budget the cheaper the place the more you can spend elsewhere. I've researched a few other sites (such as travelocity) and a few people say it is dirty, the most horrible place they stayed, etc. But then a few people said it was nice enough.

I don't seek luxury by any means but don't want something horrible with roaches, etc. Has anyone stayed here that can tell me about it, or can anyone recommend any other place to stay? There is so much to look at on the internet it's overwhelming to find a good place and my requirements are simple: fireplace, a bed, preferably a kitchenette and clean. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:37 AM

We've stayed there twice when skiing at Purgatory...but it was atleast 6 years ago. I remember it being just fine and fits your description of being a good place to stay on a budget. It was clean when we stayed there. It also offered a hot breakfast buffet. The shuttle bus to Purgatory picked us up right at the hotel lobby.

The only down side is it's not in the heart of Durango which means you can't just walk out your door and walk to the restaurants and shops. Check with the hotel to see if they have a van shuttle that could drop you off downtown.

Other than staying on the mountain in Purgatory Village or Cascade Village, we stayed at the Red Lion Inn. It was just a regular hotel room...no fireplace or kitchenette. It was just fine, too and was more convenient to shops and restaurants.

Again, keep in mind my experiences with Iron Horse and Red Lion were a long time ago.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Jayne1973

I have stayed at Iron Horse twice -- once in 1977 on my honeymoon (It was a Ramada back then, I think) and again in 1997 for a recreation of that trip for my 20th anniversary. The rooms we had were kind of neat, with a living area (sleeper sofa) with fireplace downstairs and bedroom upstairs. It was quite high style in 1977 and fine for our family in 1997. There's a train that runs right behind the property... guess that's why it's called Iron Horse.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM

We really enjoyed the Jarvis Suites this past summer, in part because of the location downtown in walking distance to everything. The Iron Horse isn't in town, nor at the resort area, so you're a car ride to anything other than your hotel. Not sure what your budget is, but I think we paid about $149/night for a 1BR suite with full kitchen - perfect for our family of four. The kids loved people watching out the windows, and it was nice being near coffee shops, restaurants, brew pub, etc. No fireplace in our room, though, so call to ask if other rooms have them. They also take the Entertainment book discount, although it wasn't available when we were there.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 09:11 AM

You might want to try some of the better places, if you're going before the ski season. We are off to Durango next week and are staying at the General Palmer Hotel. They have a fabulous offer right now, $73.50/night plus tax for a standard room (double or kingsize bed). I guess it depends on when you're going. Check laplatadiscount.com for hotel specials.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM

We stayed at the Iron Horse Inn about 5 years ago when we were going on the Durango-Silverton Railroad trip. I thought it to be a really neat place> It's not luxurious, but fit our budget and like you, we were looking to spend more money on doing things than places to stay. It did not seem "dirty" to me then--unless it has changed, but based on my experience I would recommend it.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Lucky me, I was just about to get you savvy travellers' advice on this exact property!!!!! Only one query left: how long a drive to Purgatory, and is it the closest off-mountain lodging to Purgatory? Any other accomodations off-mountain closer (and better/cheaper) to Purgatory?

Gracias!