garmish hotels

Dec 8th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

garmish hotels

My husband and are thinking about staying at Gasthof Fraundorfer in Garmish next June for 2 nights. I see there are some posts about this inn. Has anyone stayed there recently? Also any other suggestions for places to stay would be appreciated. Thanks
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:47 PM

anitas,

The Fraundorfer is worthy of your consideration. Last summer my wife and I stayed at this attractive, nicely-situated, and reasonably priced accommodation, and we were quite pleased, with only a few reservations.

The Fraundorfer is actually located next to Garmisch, in downtown Partenkirchen. We had a top-floor room (main building), one that featured a balcony with mountain views. The room was fairly small, but quite clean. Breakfasts were tasty and plentiful. The accommodation has a traditional Bavarian look about it, and there is trad-Bavarian entertainment on offer in the dining room once-a-week during high season. Dinner is offered, too, but we ate elsewhere.

The Fraundorfer did have a few shortcomings. Parking is tight, and it was rather a nuisance jockeying for space, especially if you arrive late. Apparently there is parking available beyond the accommodation grounds, but we weren't apprised of this until check-out. (Bad communications, indeed!). Moreover, the service, overall, wasn't as warm and welcoming as you'd like. One woman, in particular, had a kind of curt, drill sergeant quality about her as she worked the breakfast shift.

That said, however, the Fraundorfer has much going for it, including the fact that it's nicely situated for explorations of one of Germany's most touristically-tempting regions.

Dec 10th, 2003, 03:40 AM
jmv

We've eaten at the Frauendorfer but haven't stayed there. Since David has done the reverse, I thought I'd add info about the food. It's great and extremely plentiful. Seating is at large communal tables. We were seated with a young couple from Nuremberg. She was small but boy could she put the food away. Be sure to get reservations. The place fills up fast. Accordians and young male dancers in leiderhosen jumping up and slapping their feet and their thighs in time with the music and even yodelers. Lots of big steins of beer. This is gemutlichkeit heaven. Service in the restaurant couldn't have been better or friendlier. The owner, a large woman in her late 50's or so, blond with a bun and dirndl, was efficiency personified in the midst of all the dancing, eating drinking merriment.

We stayed in the nearby suburb of Garmisch--called Grainau. If you have a car and would like to consider an alternative hotel, the Alpenhof there is very nice. All the wood and flower balconies that Bavaria is famous for. Prices higher than at Fruendorfer, however. Approx. $170 per night in 2001. GAP is one of our favorite towns (actually two of our favorite towns). Enjoy.
Dec 10th, 2003, 12:30 PM

We have stayed a few times at the HILLEPRANDT in Garmisch. This is a nice hotel located in a quiet neighborhood close to downtown. Rooms #1 or 2 will have patios that open to a nice back yard area. The place is not fancy, but rooms are nicely furnished and roomy.
Dec 10th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Anitas:

I have stayed and eaten at he Fraurndorfor a few times! Last time was the winter of 1999. They have an adjacent bldg. that has lovely Bavarian style rooms! Ask about staying at those properties!
The parkiong is tight, the town streets are narrow. We were kind of in the off season so we had no trouble. The food and fun can not be beat! It is a great place to base, especially if you plan on heading off to Mittenwald, Seefeld and Innsbruck. The road out of town is right near the hotel!
I wish I was there now (sniff!)
JOhn
Dec 10th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will check into the other properties mentioned. Can't wait. From everything I have read the Alps are beautiful.
Dec 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM

My wife and I stayed (and ate there) in the summer of 2002. Our appraisal: stay somewhere else and eat a dinner there.
Dec 18th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Reluctantly, I agree with oberost's succinct post. We were there for 2 nights September 2003, and while we had a fabulous time at dinner, the hotel itself seems to be treated as an afterthought by the owners. The hotel needs a facelift.
Dec 27th, 2003, 05:32 PM

The rooms in the main building at the Fraundorfer are in need of a facelift; however, the rooms in the adjacent Pension Barbara are fresh and much more updated.

The Pension Barbara sits behind the Fraundorfer on the garden side, and is a more recent construction. Some of the room decors are quite clever. Both are owned by the Fraundorfer. The Pension Barbara has the advantage of being close to the main building for meals and the bavarian show, but removed from the noise and smoke of the main gasthof building.

If it is in your price range, the recommendation of the Alpenhof in Grainau is a very good one.