Il Giglio in Montalcino - opinions split

Nov 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Il Giglio in Montalcino - opinions split

We are deciding between:

Palazinna Cesira ( been there and loved but no views)

Vecchia Oliviera- views / most expensive, and over all good reviews.

Il Giglio- in the middle price wise, terraces for the view but seem to read the same thing over and over again about the rudeness of the staff.

Does anyone have any input. I know these B&B's have been discussed here before but am trying to get over the "rude rumors" at Il Giglio.
Thank you,
Robyn
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Palazzina Cesira- sorry for the spelling error.
Nov 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM

We stayed at Il Giglio in March 2004 and enjoyed our stay. Of course there are positives and negatives to everything.

The positives were that we found the staff to be efficient and helpful, although I would not say friendly, and they were definitely NOT rude to us. They were nice enough to park our car, had our laundry done in a timely manner and offered a nice breakfast. The location was perfect for us because after a day of touring, we came back to town and there were several very good restaurants within walking distance, along with some very nice little local shops. Of course the Palazzina Cesira is just across the tiny street...so the same can be said about their location.

The first negative was that to park our car on the tiny streets was quite difficult, but as I said, the owner parked for us. The alternative is to park at the public lot which is up a very steep hill.

As for the hotel itself, it is fairly simple and as far as I remember, there is just one room with a terrce which was not available although we would have liked it because the room was small. Another negative, and this may sound silly, but the pillows were so hard that we couldn't sleep very well. When we asked for different pillows, they didn't have any. So we tried to make do with towels...didn't work very well though.

My negatives may not be your negatives. Decide what's most important to you.

Carol
Nov 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Hi Robyn,

I found the owners at Il Giglio, polite, efficient, but distant. Just not as warm was most people I've delt with in Italia.

I had a lovely room (huge travertine marble bathroom) with views of the countryside.

No complaints!

Buon viaggio
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM

We stayed at Il Giglio in September 2005 for 5 days. We were lucky enough to book well ahead and got Room #1 which is the room with private terrace and great views.

We enjoyed this hotel very much. We were treated courteously at all times and they were more than helpful with their advice and service. They just aren't the warm & fuzzy types that you sometimes meet.

The breakfasts were quite good and the dinner we ate there one evening was excellent. The older gentleman(father I believe) served us and he was most attentive. They gave us the lovely large round table at the window with the great views.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and have recommended it to friends who were also very happy with the choice.

Parking is difficult as the streets are so steep but they will park your car if you ask. My husband was too proud to ask so we had some interesting experiences until he got the hang of it.

This is a lovely little hotel with very good rates and don't let their more foramal service be interpreted as rude.