Hotel dei Capitani in Montalcino

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance at a good deal at this hotel for a double and a single room. I have read many good reviews about the hotel and am pleased with what I have heard.

Anyone stay there recently and can give me feedback on the following :

1) where in town is it actually located? I have not been able to understand that exactly

2) Where you pleased with your stay?

3) Anything else of interest or value you might be able to contribute to help me make my choice here.

Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Flame123,
Capitani is located in the extreme northeast part of town. It is about as far away from the fortezza (on the south side)as you can get. It will take you at least four minutes to walk to the fortezza.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM

We stayed here two years ago. Good breakfast, pool, parking, basic room but very thin walls.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:22 AM

It's an okay property. Syaed there last Oct. I wanted to stay at one of the other places that I stayed, but they were booked (we just drove in without reservations-long story).
The Bad:
Do not get a room on the main floor. Pretty big, but you are right on the street.
The staff was not all that helpful.
Although they have parking, it's difficult maneuvering in and out of a space.
It's location is a bit bad, but Montalcino is small.

The good:
Nice breakfasts.
Amazing views.
We switched rooms and got a room with a view. Well worth the extra money.

Gigio and Cesira have better locations and have nicer rooms. I remember staying at Cesira a couple years ago, opening the shutters early in morning and stepping out unto the small balcony. The little town was coming alive with children going to school, shops opening, and first group of tourists walking down the street below me.
"Ciao" ,they yell up at me. Assuming I'm Italian (you can't tell that this is a B&B), they stumble through some broken Italian asking me if I'd take their pictures. "Si...Si" I answer. I come down and get their camera and take these English ladies pictures from the balcony. When I go to take the camera back to them my wife is now on the balcony checking out why her husband is going up and down the stairs. She then says "Hi" to the ladies with her very southern American language. The ladies say ,"Wow,he married an American".
I remarked with as phoney an Italian accent that I could fake "Si..Si..she'sa very pretty no?"
As they walked away they talked about meeting this unusual recident of Montaclino that was so nice to take their pistures. They couldn't wait to share their experience with others in their group up ahead.
Uh, memories.

Old May 5th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

jabez - thanks for the further information. I gather that you have also stayed before at Il Giglio and Cesira. Cesira has only one double room left (we are 3 people) and Il Giglio is offering me either an apt. in their dependence Anna or a double plus single room there. I realize there is no view there whereas at dei capitani, I have balcony with valley view rooms available. How would you go with this??