Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Florence - help needed.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well- we've decided on Tuscany for our october half-term trip, rejecting Krakow, Berlin, and Nice/Provence en route. Thanks to all who helped out with ideas for those places.
so having decided on Tuscany, and Florence in particular, I'm finding reasonably priced accommodation for 4 a bit hard to come by. I'd be very grateful for any ideas for apartments or hotels/pensions that work out at about E200 per night or less ie E200 for the whole apartment, or E100 per room [we'll need two, one each for us and the kids] in central Florence, preferably with parking.
I've done the usual researches, but am not getting very far.
Thanks so much, Ann
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
MaureenB

I'm not sure if they have a quad room or parking, but we really liked the Relais Cavalcanti in Florence, near the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi. It's a charming little hotel. We paid 120 EUR for a twin, with an upgraded view. You could try them-- maybe you could get a discount for two rooms. I think it's RelaisCavalcanti.com.

From my trip report:
"We took a short cab ride to the Relais Cavalcanti. a very charming little 'hotel', at Via Pellicceria, 2. It occupies one floor of a building located near the Uffizi gallery, in a very good central location. Because my daughter had just finished her semester in Florence, she was able to recommend her favorite location in town for lodging.

The Relais Cavalcanti building has been in the same family's ownership for 100+ years, the owner/manager of the new-ish Relais is Francesca. She said she inherited this one floor of the building, so she recently renovated it to create a little hotel. It's relatively new, with beautiful tile bathrooms, showers, etc. The rooms are very charming, and good-sized. Our rate for a double/twin was 120EUR, which included an extra 10EUR/day for the better view. Francesca also offered a 5 percent discount for payment in cash.

You have the feeling of entering a very nice, private Italian home, when you unlock the Relais door and smell the potpourri set out on the beautiful tables in the hallway and entry way. It has a small elevator and a/c, too. No breakfast is served, but even better I think is that they have a beautiful little dining room/kitchen that is open 24/7 for guests. You have always available the makings for coffee, hot chocolate and tea, plus containers of pre-wrapped pastries and dessert cakes. That's about as much as you get in any Italian B&B for breakfast, and this way you can serve yourself whenever. One evening we bought wine, cheese, bread, and fruit and enjoyed our own private time in this beautiful room.

The only thing to be aware of at Relais Cavalcanti is that the first floor of the building is the Old Stove Irish pub. The good news is that it's a decent little place for panini, and has free wi-fi. However, it attracts a lot of students and young people, so it is quite noisy into the early morning hours. Our room window was directly above the pub's patio, with a nice view of adjoining rooftops. The double windows, plus the wooden shutters, can block out about 90 percent of the noise from the pub below. I found that I could also turn on the a/c fan in our room, which would then totally cover any outside noise.

Francesca also cautions her prospective guests that she does not staff a 24/7 front desk. She is there during posted hours, mostly till 6 p.m., and has an emergency number on the door. But she is careful to tell guests that hers is not a hotel with full-services at night-time. I highly recommend the Relais Cavalcanti."

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Ann,

The Hotel Casci (www.hotelcasci.com) is reasonable, well located, and very clean. They have quite a few large rooms for families as I remember, and they get good ratings on Tripadvisor.com. I don't know about parking, though. I've stayed there twice and like it a lot. Good luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:41 PM

If Hotel Casci doesn't work for you (230 euros for a quad room in October), try the Hotel Castri:
http://www.florenceby.com/hotelcastri/index.html

where quad rooms are 170 euro. We stayed here a few years ago; the rooms are basic but clean, and most look out on a lovely walled patio and garden where you can sit and enjoy a beverage in the early evening. The breakfast room is large and bright. The location is good; fairly close to the train station but far enough to be ot of the crowds there. They do have secure parking, but you may have to pay extra for that.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Check out Hotel Orto De Medici www.ortodemedici.it
Their web site is showing doubles at E118 per night, though it increases partway through October. You might manage to wangle a deal that keeps you within your budget.
It's less than a mile from the Duomo but in a surprisingly quiet area. Near the university so there are some amazingly individual eateries (we found a terrific Greek restaurant and one of the bestest delicatessens I've ever seen).
Our room was sensational, huge and covered in marble. Breakfast is quite generous by continental standards. If Joseph is still doing his wine tasting for about 6 euros a head, do it.
We didn't have a car with us but they say they can arrange garaging for cars, presumably not for free.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Hi, I can suggest La Residenza del Proconsolo. It's a B&B right next to the duomo. We stayed here this past May. The owners, Roberto and Paola are amazing.
Like the rest, I don't know about parking but I'm sure if you contact them they can help you. They booked museum tickets for us. If you like what you see on the website, just email them and explain what you are looking for. They're very nice.
Have a great trip.
www.proconsolo.com
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM

We just returned from 2 weeks in Italy with our teenagers. In florence, we stayed at Hotel Accademia. The rate was 90e/night/room..we needed two rooms also. The hotel location is excellent - within a block of the medici chapel, literally in the city center. Nice, clean rooms. Large bathrooms!! Small hotel ona quiet street. Its about 2 blocks from the train station as well. Close to many restaurants. We enjoyed it and would return.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM

We are staying at Palazzo Gamba in November. There are five of us and the price for an apartment was 200euro per night. It has very good reviews on venere.com and also has a great location in the city centre.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all -how kind OPs are. I'm really grateful for you all doing my reasearch for me as i just have the weekend to sort this trip before DH and I go to Toulouse and Pyrenees for my "big birthday trip". [unfortunately big brithday, not big trip]. I will fret if I don't book it all before we go.
haven't found out exactly what we can take on the plane yet, either. anyone travelled on easyjet, this week?
Thanks to you all, - I'll let you know where we end up, and try to post a trip report when i get back from France, Ann
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:22 AM

You can also check on:
http://www.tuscanweb.com, you can find some cheap great accommodations.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:33 AM

Il Guelfo Bianco has spacious quad rooms that are reasonable. It's a terrific hotel
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM

Hi,
Thought I would add another name to your list. I was very pleased with the Old Florence Inn, a bed and breakfast type hotel on Via Alinari, right near the train station. The rooms are very spacious, beautifully decorated and the staff cordial. I think it would be in your price range as the prices are from 60 to 100 euros. I was there in May of this year. It has great reviews on Trip Advisor although we found it just by chance.
I am also going to suggest a meal at La Fontine restaurant, which is very near the hotel on Via Nazionale and also near the San Lorenzo market. Got the restaurant recommendation from Fodorite Monica Pileggi and we liked it so well we went back twice. Food divine, atmosphere animated and service smooth and friendly. Happy Travels.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM

I think Printemps means Le Fonticine, http://www.lefonticine.com/. It has a great reputation and I look forward to eating there when I go back to Florence.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:07 AM

Nice and affordable apartments can be found in the city center at www.sleepinginflorence.com. Click on San Lorenzo Apartments.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:42 AM

I also 2nd Realis Calvanti. I have stayed there twice and the location is excellent.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM

Still another possibility is the Hotel Enza on Via San Zanobi. It is a small family owned hotel and an excellent value in what I found to be a convenient location. A triple with WC is under 100e in high season. Other accomodations are less. It is air conditioned and has free internet. Parking is available at 20e extra. If you look at the TA reviews, the earliest is mine.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM

We stayed in the Florence Ciompi apartments, found through initaly.com.

The reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed. I found them to be huge and beautiful, and in a nice location. I think the problems stem from the manager not being a very warm and fuzzy person.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM

Thanks, Shan333, I definitely do mean Le Fonticine. It is a really beautiful place, with food to match.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to you all. I have an option on two rooms at the old florence inn for E95 each, but i have read a few reviews suggesting it is very noisy. Also we like being able to spread out so I have also found the "tower house apartment" with florence week.com [looks as if it is a little way out but in a nice neighbourhood] and apartment A124 near the Duomo with bed-and-breakfast in Florence .com. Reviews are pretty good but it is very central and therefore in very touristy area [but what should I expect in florence!].
comments, anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -