Where did you stay in Montalcino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a return visit to Italy in Sept 2008. For the time spent in Montalcino I automatically wanted to return to Palazzina Cesira, in town where we had a fabulous experience. The only things I would have changed---to have a view yet stay within the town walls. The owners were memorable and the breakfast and information excellent. Then I just read a horrible review on tripadvisor. I know I can not read too much into them as we all have different experiences.

If you have been to Montalcino, where have you stayed and would you recommend going back to that hotel/B&B?

Thank you,
Robyn
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:54 AM

We LOVE Montalcino! We stayed at the Hotel Dei Capitani. I think the big plus is the wonderful pool, which offered a beautiful place to relax. Below is an excerpt about the hotel and Montalcino from my trip report in june 2006.

"We arrived in MONTALCINO by about 1:30. We had been here before, but only for a quick one hour stop. We knew we had wanted to return, and were so happy we did! We all loved staying here, especially at the…

HOTEL DEI CAPITANO (2 nights) – there were a lot of mixed reviews on this website about this hotel, but we loved it! The pool area and the views from our rooms and their breakfast terrace were breathtaking. The rooms were very basic, but clean and functional. Both of the rooms had small balconies that could fit a chair. The kids had a much bigger bathroom than us (201), but ours had an attached sitting room (202). The rooms were only 105 euros, breakfast included. A great value!

(By the way, I know parking came up as an issue in other threads about this hotel. They have a parking lot down a narrow steep driveway, but it was not available because they were tearing up the road in front of the driveway. We just parked on the street directly in front of the hotel the entire weekend. We only used our car once, but didn't have trouble parking there again.)

We had a lovely lunch at the main café in the main piazza (Frasciatera, or something similar), and then strolled back to find our rooms ready. We got settled and then sat by the pool until about 6pm. I can’t describe how lovely and peaceful it was. You would think you would get used to the views after seeing them constantly, but each time I looked, I was stunned. It was like a green and yellow quilt spread out below you, and you felt as if you were on top of the world.

In addition, it’s such a small town, that it was so easy to just say, “I think I’ll go get a gelato” or “ I think I’ll go buy a bottle of wine”, take a walk and be back sitting at the pool a few minutes later.

We had an outstanding dinner at GRAPPOLO BLU, also recommended on this forum. The bruschetta and chickpeas were the best I ever had, and everything else was excellent, too. I had an excellent pasta with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil, then the rabbit cooked in Brunello. My son had an amazing gnocchi in ragu sauce, and my husband ahd the beef cheeks. We all loved this place!

The next morning, my husband and I left the kids at the pool and set out with the car to drove along the dirt roads surrounding the town and surrounded by vineyards and olive tree groves. We got a little lost, but had a lot of fun. LISINI was the one winery he had his heart set on wouldn’t give us an advanced reservation for a tasting and tour (they only do that for companies in the wine industry), but said we could come and buy. So we went, and they were closed. Luckily, a nice guy unlocked the place for us, and we bought a couple of bottles.

Afterwards, we drove to the S’ANTIMO ABBEY. Since it was a Sunday morning, mass was going on, and it was an unbelievably beautiful experience. This abbey is set in a lovely valley, surrounded by cypress and olive trees. We loved it.

That afternoon, we had some pizza on the steps of a church, enjoyed the market that was going on that day (Sunday), and did some shopping. I bought 3 small paintings from a little art gallery. The artist was working in the back. I was thrilled; one was of Montalcino, one of the Abbey we had just visited, and one was a field of sunflowers. We also bought a gorgeous coffee table book with photographs of Montalcino. The pictures of snow in the winter were beautiful!

We still had about 4 hours of pool time… It was warm and sunny, and we relaxed and read on our chaise lounges until after 6pm.

Dinner that night was at IL GRIFA (or Grifo?). The pizza was excellent, and my husband had a pasta with wild boar sauce that was really good. We had more great chickpeas and more delicious cheese and salami, here served with fig and pear!
All heavenly."
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Robyn,

I stayed at Il Giglio for 3 nts in Sept 05. 85E/nt, breakfast not included. Had a large double room with large, travertine marble bath, incredible views. They parked and retrieved my car each day for me and laundry was excellent. Owners a little distant, but didn't bother me. I thought it was an excellent value.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM

I wouldn't give much weight to that trip advisor review of Palazzina Cesira, especially since you've been there before and can speak from personal experience. And all the other reviews give it a "5". This guy has no other reviews posted and gives no explication of his "story" so...I wouldn't give it any validity.

We are actually staying there in a few weeks so I'll be able to give an update. Previously, we have stayed at Hotel Vecchia Olivera which was fabulous--great views, excellent breakfast, and its own parking lot with easy access. But this time we wanted to try something more right in the center of town (Vecchia Olivera is right at the gate.) And, its more expensive than the other Montalcino options.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Giglio right in town on the main street...a very nice, quaint, B&B....great breakfast....also excellent dinners. The Marchetti family are wonderful hosts....very helpful...warm and friendly. They take care of parking and getting the car. We loved it!
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I agree with you and that reviewer gave no further information-----made me wonder!

I would love to hear your thoughts when you return---we loved it but are thinking of trying a new place.....we loved being in the center of town. Maybe its better to stick with what you know and love! Either way you can go wrong with Montalcino.
Enjoy.

Robyn
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I bet the bad review had more to do with the relationship with Roberto than the hotel itself.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Roberto and Lucille were wonderful---there are always three sides to a story----we'll most likely go back there but am going to research the other hotels a bit more.
Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM

We stayed at Palazzina Cesira just a month ago and had a great experience! Ours was the front (first) room with the balcony out over the street. Lucilla was visiting family in Rome the first day and, I must say, that Roberto seemed a bit stressed. When she returned he relaxed a lot! They were very gracious and Roberto gave great info on the area. Only complaints.... bed was very hard, and there was considerable noise from the street. Even so, were we to go back, we'd rebook.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

upgradable, your experience sounds exactly like ours. We were greeted by Lucilla and then Roberto, I can see how he could get stressed w/o her there. Our first night was in the front room and the beds were HARD. The second night we had the red room in the back/garden----beautiful but still hard beds. Still I think we are going to rebook there...the other reviews are not winning me over.
Thanks,
Robyn
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Now I think we may stay at Hotel Vecchia Oliviera. Before we went on our honeymoon in Oct 2006, it was between Palazzina Cesira and Oliviera. We had a wonderful experience at PC but did miss the views. Since we'll be traveling with my parents on this next trip and my father being a photographer...I think the decision will be Oliveira, if they have availability.

One question, I remember the location at the entrance of the walled city. I do not remember the distance into the town, can we walk to Grappolo Blu?

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Yes---follow your street past the Giglio Hotel and PC and keep going thru the town piazza. Just past it on the right look down that street for the sign. I would guess a 7 minute walk. Have fun !
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM

We stayed 4 nites at Hotel Vecchia Oliviera.(an Ira recommendation) We were real happy there....had several nice chats with Sandro the owner. The hotel has very nice rooms, also good beds, more than adequate A/C, charming sitting room, and great breakfast. As mentioned, be sure to have at least one dinner at Grappolo Blu and a snack w/ wine outside the Fortress.