Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One day in Vancouver BC... I know it is in Canada! What should I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all... the Canada board is just so slow...
Besides, I feel like I know many of you!
I am headed to a convention, staying at the Fairmont Waterfront. I'll have time to walk around that area.
My question is... what should I do Sunday?
I'll have a car and I love to drive, so do not be afraid to suggest an incredible drive.
Any suggestions appreciated!
~Laura
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Here are some of my suggestions:

1) If it's a sunny day, drive across the Lions' Gate Bridge and go to the top of Grouse Mountain (either by Gondola, or if you're into fitness, do the Grouse Grind). Beautiful views of the city from there.

2) If you want to stay downtown, head over to Yaletown, walk around, eat at one of the outdoor patios for breakfast (Provence Marinaside is nice), then take the Aquabus ferry across to Granville Island. It's a gorgeous market. Fruits, veg, arts, crafts, eating, buskers. Have a nice dinner on a patio in Coal Harbor with views of Stanley Park. (Now that I mention it, the Park's nice too -- don't miss it, even if you're just driving through. It's particularly nice at sunset.)

3) In my opinion, the following are tourist traps and I wouldn't go there: Gastown and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. You can find info about either in any tourist book. I'd stay away.

4) If you want a really long drive, take the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. It's about a 2- to 2 1/2 hour drive (depending on your driving, road conditions, etc.), and it's spectacular. Lots to do in Whistler for a few hours.

5) If you want to drive, but to make it a little shorter, drive the Sea to Sky Highway to Horseshoe Bay (30 mins), OR to Deep Cove (25 mins or so from downtown). Both are small BC towns with nice outdoor cafes.

I live in Vancouver, and these are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I just noticed your post on the main board. I hope this is helpful, and hope you get many more good suggestions.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Definately skip Gastown, but I'd urge you to spend some time in the breathtaking Native American museum. I can't remember it's official name,but you have to cross a bridge to get to it.

Also the large park (again, can't remember the name) is worth the whole trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:06 PM

The large park is Stanley Park. It is so beautiful. I would definetly visit there. Vancouver is a beautiful city.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM

I think the museum that pyork is referring to is the Museum of Anthropology. The website address is: http://www.moa.ubc.ca/

xandohead09 has good suggestions, but I'd go further and say to take the Sea to Sky highway as far as Squamish (around one hour)if you're not going all the way to Whistler. The view is incredible. Xandohead09 must be a very slow driver because it never takes me more than 2 hours (and often only an hour and 45 minutes)to drive to Whistler, pretty much within the speed limit. It will be slower if there is construction on the road the day you go, and there often is nowadays in preparations for the 2010 Olympics.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Agree with the Sea to Sky drive as far as Squamish, but not to Whistler. That latter, skippable part is pretty boring inland, IMHO. The initial miles are truly spectacular.

Stanley Park is great to drive around also.

Isn't the Museum of Anthropology at/near the University?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM

Sure, the drive to Squamish is beautiful and takes about 45 minutes. Definitely a good drive. Just don't look for TOO much to do when you get there before turning around is all.

And yes, the big park is Stanley Park.

And the Museum of Anthropology is fabulous. It is out at UBC, just outside of downtown, and is also a nice drive, too, if you drive past Spanish Banks... It's a great thing to do if it's raining, but is also worth it on a sunny day as well.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Awesome suggestions, just what I was looking for...
I thought about the drive to Whistler but was not sure how far it was.
Possibly I'll take the drive to Squamish.
Can you tell me how much I will see if the visibility is 24km?
The weather forcast says partly cloudy for the Saturday.
In Dallas this generally means sunny with some clouds passing by but in Portland OR it seems to mean cloudy with some sunny patches.
What does 'Partly Cloudy' mean in Vancouver?
Thanks again!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Partly cloudy in Vancouver could mean anything. To be honest, I rarely believe the weather forecasts here -- seems to be too hard to forecast on the Pacific or something (I'm sure there's a reason, but...).

If you take the drive up the Sea to Sky to Squamish, it won't necessarily matter too much if it's raining. If it's REALLY socked in you won't be able to see the mountains much, but the water/island views will still be there. It's quite moody over the water when it's raining, and it's part of the BC charm, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about "partly cloudy." In fact, the forecast today called for "partly cloudy," and my partner is out on the deck sunning himself right now.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 10:19 AM

We are staying with friends in Vancouver but my parents and sister's family need a place to stay for 2 days that costs $150 or under if possible. We are getting off a cruise ship and won't have a car. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I would stay in the city, take either the trolley hop on and off tour or the Grey Line tour. The city is very cosmopolitan and beautiful. The drive up to Squamish adn Whistler is nice but not that great
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

We will be driving to Whistler for a couple nights, but I have memories ten years ago of taking an old steam train from Vancouver to Squamish where we had an hour or two and then returned. Do they still do that? The scenery was beautiful and the best part was the person normally driving was able to enjoy it as well.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM

I was there for a conference a few years ago and there was a man parked outside the conference center in an antique convertible. Turns out he was a middle school teacher who restored the old car and started showing up to do tours. He's been doing it on a full-time basis for many years now.

A fun way to see Stanley Park!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 01:58 AM

if you do not have time/ or a car to go along the spectacular sea to sky highway.. at least try to get to horseshoe bay. there is a bus or you can drive. have lunch at patio overlooking marina.
get a feel for the ferries coming and going.

lvery tranquil ferry town with atmosphere.

but the stretch mentioned along the fjord up to whistler is spectacular on a nice day. also could stop at furry creek golf course/club for lunch.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:20 AM

We did the grey line tour on and off, each area was unique and worth seeing..the highlight for me was Stanley park and the views from the water taxi...enjoy, it is a gorgeous city !
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Ah, a bit of googling answered my own question. I guess the wonderful old steam train is no longer running to Squamish. Too bad! They also offered a round trip, coming back by boat. Another fine old tradition bites the dust.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I remember that steam train too, Patrick. We did it about 7 or 8 years ago so I guess it was still running then. We took it to Squamish and then I had a ride in a small plane up over the glacier before we headed back to Vancouver. There was a more elaborate plane tour that involved landing on the glacier and having a salmon barbecue, but it cost too much money. I wonder if that's still being offered - it was fun.