4 days to kill from Whistler to Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, our intinerary is to have a city break in the Fairmont Waterside for a couple of days prior to taking a 7 day cruise to Alaska, after which we will be spending a week in Whistler. What I would really like some advice on is what to do with the four days we have spare after our week in Whistler. We will have the benefit of a hire car. Any ideas on where to go and stay for this 4 night period. We are novice visitors to Canada and am sure than Vancouver has a lot more to offer than just the city break. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:07 AM

You're absolutely correct. Vancouver has a great deal to offer and four days will go be very quickly no matter what your interests. But, since you don't say what you're actually interested in I reccomend that you research former posts on activities and things of interest in vancouver and then repost with specific questions.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I would really like to see something of the coastline and from previous posts it looks as if Tofino is liked and admired by many. I like the great outdoors and can see myself walking along beaches, taking in the scenary (whale watching would be an added bonus!). I am also not adverse to spending some time shopping, eating and drinking. Do you think it is possible to get from Whistler to Tofino and back to Vancouver within a 4 day period?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:04 AM

It's definitely possible. The charm to Tofino, in my opinion, is that it's a place where you go to relax. You have to spend time there to experience it. I wouldn't recommend it for a one night stay, but if you're planning to spend more than two nights there, go for it.

First, the drive from Whistler to Vancouver will likely take 2 hours, although it will be longer if you stop off at Shannon Falls or the lookout points along the way. Luckily, if you're going directly to Tofino from Whistler, you don't have to technically enter Vancouver. You'd drive from Whistler to Horseshoe Bay and take the ferry there across to Nanaimo, the city on the east coast of Vancouver Island. There can be a waitfor the ferry, depending on the time and the day of the week. Once on the ferry, the ride takes about an hour and a half. Once in Nanaimo, you'd start heading westbound. The highway is curvy and mountainous, so you'd be travelling at slow speeds. There are a few sites (ie: Cathedral Grove, Coombs, etc) in between the Tofino-Nanaimo drive, so while it could easily take 3 hours one way, if you stop off for breaks, it'll take longer. Give yourself 4-5 hours to get to Tofino.

That's my guesstimate!

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM

Make sure you make a reservation on the ferry!!
http://www.bcferries.bc.ca

Also, there's construction on the Sea to Sky Highway between Whistler and Horseshoe Bay, so check the website www.seatoskyimprovements.ca for updates, then you can avoid problems.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice re booking the ferry and the construction delays - we really appreciate it.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Make sure you have a room reservation in Tofino. I don't know when you plan on visiting but right now there is about "0" vacancies in town.