Vancouver,Victoria, Whistler

Mar 29th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Vancouver,Victoria, Whistler

We are planning this:
1day-Arriving 20May in Vancouver from Toronto, rent a car on international airport and go to downtown Vancouver for sleeping. Around Robson street.
2day-Take a ferry on Tsawwassen to Victoria , visit Buchart Garden , sleeping in Victoria around Inner harbor.
3day-Whale watching -Prince of Whales after go to Royal British museum.
4day-Victoria to Nanaimo , ferry to Horseshoe bay - Squamish -Whistler - afternoon go back to Vancouver.
5day-Visit to Capilano bridge and Grouse montain.
6day-Visit Stanley park and shopping Robson street , Gastow
7day- Walking downtown
8day-Fly to Calgary
How difficult is to park a car on downtown Vancouver ? Parking downtown are expensive ?
How about this planning ?
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I think Day 4 is highly undesirable. You'll be driving all day, and not seeing anything (except when on the ferry).

I would take your time on Vancouver Island, and get back to Vancouver late that day. Use Day 5, 6, or 7 to go up to Whistler.
Mar 30th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Topping for Suzybr. Don't know why even after I replied, it still shows "0 replies" yesterday...
Mar 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
ltt

if you want to go to whistler on day 4, i'd plan on getting a room up there and head back to vancouver the next day. otherwise it may be too busy.
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Day 4 - while not impossible would be extremely tight for time. Drive from Victoria to Nanaimo takes two hours, wait for ferry - unknown time, ferry to Horshoe Bay another two hours, drive to Whistler two to three hours. Did you actually want to spend any time in Whistler? I think you need to do as another poster suggested and stay overnight in Whistler to get the most out of your experience.
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Parking in Downtown Vancouver can be quite expensive (although, it is dependent on the time of day). The City of Vancouver recently increased the rates for metered parking. However, after a certain time in the evening (I believe it is 8:00pm) the meters are no longer in effect, and vehicles may park for free in those spots. The alternative to street parking are parkades, which offer flat rates for a full day's worth of parking. You may have to do a bit of driving around in order to find the best parkade rate deals.
Mar 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM

If you park on the street in Vancouver, read the signs very carefully. If it says parking until 8am, then you better drive away by 7:59, because I believe Vancouver has the most efficient car-towers in the world. And don't even think about parking at "resident-only" spaces unless you have a permit.
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

1day-Arriving 20May in Vancouver from Toronto, rent a car on international airport and go to downtown Vancouver for sleeping. Around Robson street.
2day-Take a ferry on Tsawwassen to Victoria , visit Buchart Garden , sleeping in Victoria around Inner harbor.
3day-Whale watching -Prince of Whales after go to Royal British museum.
4day-Victoria to Nanaimo , ferry to Horseshoe bay - Squamish -Whistler - sleeping in Whistler.
5day-Morning go to visit to Capilano bridge and Grouse montain, sleeping in North Vancouver.
6day-Visit Stanley park and shopping Robson street , Gastow
7day- Walking downtown
8day-Fly to Calgary
Victoria -Nanaimo: is it worth ? Or return to Vancouver is better ?
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:38 PM

In my opinion, it might be best to eliminate Nanaimo from the itinerary. Unless there is something in particular that you wish to see or visit in Nanaimo??? Instead, I would return to Vancouver on Day 3 by catching one of the late ferry sailings. Then, on Day 4 you could do an entire day trip to Whistler. Hope this helps!

P.s. The Capilano Bridge is a bit of a mundane tourist attraction, I have to say. It doesn't really have much of a wow! factor. An alternative could be a visit to the Lonsdale Quay Market where you can get a view of Downtown Vancouver from the other side of the Burrard Inlet.