Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help with Itinerary - May 07 to Vancouver, Whistler, Fraser Valley, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to fly into Vancouver on May 9 and stay 3 nights. (Still researching Vancouver hotels.) Hubby is very into photography which is the main purpose of this trip. Neither of us are physically able to do too much in the way of hiking, so any sights would need to be easily accessible from the road, car park, etc.

After Vancouver, my rough itinerary looks something like this:

May 12 - Vancouver to Whistler via the more scenic Horseshoe Bay route. If we stop at Shannon Falls and/or Brandywine Falls, is it a long walk/hike to reach the actual falls from the parking area?

As far as accommodations in Whistler, I've looked at the Summit Lodge and Crystal Lodge, both in our price range of around C$100 per night. Any comments on either of these properties or other recommendations?

May 13 - OK so this is where I'm having trouble. What I eventually want to do is end up back in or near Vancouver for our flight home on May 16 at 1 PM. Would like to travel from Whistler through Lillooet, and down Hwy 1 eventually ending up at Harrison Hot Springs.

Is it worthwhile to spend more than 1 night in Whistler? Is there a good place to spend the night between Whistler and Harrison Hot Springs as it looks like it would be too far to drive in one day, especially with stops along the way?

Is the Harrison Hot Springs area worth 2 days? Can anyone recommend a decent place to stay around C$100 per night?

We understand that the most scenic route back to Vancouver (probably near the Airport) is via Hwy 7. We'll do this on the 15th. Any recommendations for places to stop along the way?

As you can see, I'm not too familiar with this area and altho I've read a lot of posts here on Fodor's, I need your assistance.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Hi Bettyk

A couple of points
- the lower road from Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay only goes as far as Horseshoe Bay, not all the way to Whistler - you'll have to get on the main highway at HB...not a reason not to drive it, just for your information

- Not a long walk to either waterfall as far as I recall, although both are up relatively steep inclines on gravel paths. I'd say stop and take a look...

- I'd either spend 2 nights in Whistler or 2 nights in Harrison - both are nice, although very different. Whistler is a vibrant little town, even in May, whereas Harrison is a sleepy little town with not much going on, other than the hotsprings and a really big lake - from a photogrpahic standpoint you're probably better off in Harrison, if that's the sort of photography your husband is in to.

- The drive from Whistler around to Harrison takes, according to Google Maps 4.5 hours, although it's a pretty windy and out of the way road...it'd be a long drive for one day if you added stops, although there really isn't much between them around the back route you propose...great for photos though.

- Take a look at the Executive Inn in harrison - not as nice as the big Harrison Hot Springs Resort, but definately cheaper. There may be some other places as well, but I'm not sure...

- The #7 from harrison to vancouver is definitely more scenic, however it's not really a long drive (less than 3 hours, at the very most, probably closer to 2 hours). There's lots of places to stop for photos, but not much other than that, especially as you get closer to vancouver (becomes suburbia once you hit Mission). One of my goals for the summer is to drive that road and take lots of photos (I'm a photographer too) - the views out over the valley can be amazing, especially if you get the right light.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Scott. Just the info I was looking for.

I think we'll do the following:

May 12 & 13th - Whistler

May 14th - Travel most of this day from Whistler to Harrison Hot Springs. I did look at the Executive Inn's website but don't recall any photos of the rooms. I'll do more research.

May 15th - Since this is our last full day, will spend most of our time in HHS and then make our way to a hotel close to the Vancouver Airport later in the afternoon. Any suggestions for somewhere "interesting"??

Most of our recent travels have been in Europe and Hawaii. You might be interested in checking out some of my husbands pix on Webshots. Search for dkubiak.

Thanks, again.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM

You're much better off spending one night in Whistler and one night in Lilloet.

The road up/through and over the mountains offers countless opportunities for photography, passing as it does from the well watered coast to the dry interior.

http://www.cayoosh.net

A night at a local B&B in Lillooet will allow you to freshen up before tackling the Fraser Canyon-another beautiful area-often hot as blazes so be prepared.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...es/canyons.htm
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM

In Vancouver, be sure to drive along SW Marine Drive, from UBC down along Jericho Beach. It hooks up with W 4th Ave... but turn down Alma to connect up with Point Grey Road, until you get to Cornwall Ave. This takes you along a very scenic waterfront stretch - many great photo opportunities.

When you drive from Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay, be sure to take Marine Drive (westbound) once you get off the Lions Gate Bridge. This is a slower route, but much more scenic. It takes you though West Vancouver's beachside neighbourhoods, then along the mansion-lined cliffs and yacht harbours. Eventually you'll end up at Horseshoe Bay where you can connect back onto Hwy 99 north to Whistler.

While you're at Horseshoe Bay, I'd take the 5 minute detour to Whytcliff Park. It overlooks Howe Sound and Bowen Island from a different perspective - might make for some beautiful photos.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Carmanah. Sounds like there are going to be many great photo ops on this trip!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Well, I think we have now finalized our itinerary and have hotels booked:

May 9 - Arrive in Vancouver. Stay 3 nights at the Sylvia Hotel (room rez confirmed).

May 12 - Drive the scenic route to Whistler. Stay overnight at the Crystal Lodge.

May 13 - Drive as far as Clinton and stay at the Cariboo Lodge overnight.

May 14 - Head south on the Trans-Can 1 to Harrison Hot Springs. Stay at the Executive Inn.

May 15 - After lunch, drive along Hwy. 7 towards Vancouver, staying overnight near the airport at the BW Abercorn. If time permits, drive over to Steveston for a walk around and perhaps dinner. Any restaurant recommendations?

Any comments or suggestions?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't miss the Othello Quintette Tunnels, part of the Kettle Valley Railway, just a few miles out of downtown Hope. It's an easy, flat walk in to some stunning scenery. You might want a flashlight if you feel uneasy about walking through dark tunnels. I've never seen a photograph that does the place justice, so good luck to your husband.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, April, I'll look into that.