Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

1 night stopover on journey Vancouver to Whistler

Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we will be travelling from Vancouver to Whistler on 18th Sept in a rented SUV. Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to stay en route for just one night that will enable us to get a taste of what British Columbia has got to offer. Thanks in advance.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM

The drive from Vancouver to Whistler is not too long and when you get to Whistler you have your choice of places to stay because it is low seasons and rates are low. We were there last August and meals etc. in the pubs are also 2 for 1. There was a lot of selection at that time.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:49 AM

Hello Foxyfarrell,

A great place to get driving directions and driving times is Map Quest at

http://www.mapquest.com/

On the routes I know I've found their driving times to be accurate, so I assume they're also accurate for the routes I don't know.

They give a driving time of 2 hours and 10 minutes between Vancouver and Whistler.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM

Great advice so far. There really isnt much between Whistler and Vancouver in the way of places to stay. Squamish would be an option...but that is a short drive to Whistler. I would go straight to Whistler.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM

It takes me 1 1/4 hr driving from Horseshoe Bay (West Vancouver) to Whistler, and I'm not one of the speed demons. This doesn't allow for possible road closures or summer traffic.

I'd just drive directly from Vancouver to Whistler.

L
Jul 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM

We just spent 11 days in B.C. and began in Vancouver. Linda has it right. Go staight to Whistler but be prepared for road backups and closures which should be posted. The backups are just a consequence of the ongoing road construction and may result in 10-15 minute delay. Just relax and enjoy.
Jul 27th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your posts. The only reason I thought we could stop en route was because we already have a week booked in Whistler at Club Intrawest. However if you feel that there is more to see and do in Whistler rather than midway perhaps we will try to find alternative lodgings in Whistler for the extra night.