Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Whistler

Search

Vancouver/Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM
leslie

Vancouver/Whistler

I'm heading up to Vancouver for a few day next week and my mom would like to take a side trip to Whistler. How long will it take to drive up there and what do you suggest for activities. We will only be up there for the day.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:50 PM
darlene

From Vancouver, approx 21/2 hours up, 2 hours return (more downhill, so it's faster). Stop at Shannon Fall and/or Brandywine falls. Go into the village at Whistler and wander around the shops. Definitely take a tram ride to the top of the mountain - amazing view. Sit in an outdor patio and have a refreshment. If you are active, rent bikes and cycle the Valley Trail, or walk to Lost Lake. Have a nice dinner, then drive home.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:59 PM
gary

Unless you encounter construction zones or something else that will slow you down it shouldn't take more than about two hours driving from downtown Vancouver to Whistler Village. There are however a number of places along the way where you might want to stop and drink in the view or see some of the attractions like Shannon Falls and Brittania Beach Mining Museum.<BR><BR>In Whistler itself I would guess that strolling through the village drinking in the atmosphere would be automatic. You should also take one of the lifts up to the top of Whistler or Blackcomb thought he views aern't nearly as impresive as going up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver. The Chaterau whistler has very nice grounds and an impressive lobby. <BR><BR>If you golf or like to hike there are loads of opportunities but without knowing your personal likes it's difficult to reccomend anything recreational.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Leslie

Gary and Darlene, thanks for the info and suggestions.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
scott

I just got back from Whistler and Vancouver and would recommend your trip. Actually, you should stay overnight. I would not recommend the drive back in the dark, since it is two lanes, not well lit and often difficult to anticipate the road turns. It takes less than 2 hours on Hwy 99, the only road from Vancouver. It is not a tough drive (as compared to driving in the mountains in Colorado or California but it winds around a lot. Regardless, 4 plus hours of driving is a lot.<BR><BR>As you have ben told the village is beautiful and fun to stroll around or eat/drink outside. There are three lakes Alton and Green nearby, which are very pretty and easy to find, especially Alton and Lost (Green, the kargest also has a park but it is hard to find).<BR>The Gondola ride is fun and there is hiking and some snow at the top. Bring a sweatshirt if you go to the top or if you are in Whistler after dark.