Vancouver hotel?

Aug 14th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Michell

Vancouver hotel?

My husband and I are going to Vancouver to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We are staying for six nights. We have a reservation at the Sutton Place and at the new Westin Grand Hotel. Does anybody know which has a better location, or accommocations? Any suggestions on other places to stay are welcome. Also any favorite restaurants would be great, it doesn't have to be fancy, we like a variety of ethnic food groups. Thank you in advance

Aug 14th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Paula

Last trip to Vancouver was in '99 - we returned to a few of our favourite restaurants.

The Salmon House on the Hill (great meals, breathtaking view, great ambiance)

The Fish House in Stanley Park (wonderful meals, service, ambiance)

Have a great trip!

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:14 PM
xxx

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Westin but I've stayed at the Sutton Place and its quite nice. Location is great, right downtown and within walking distance of most stores, Stanley Park, and lots of restaurants. However, if you want really good food try Tojo's for Japanese, Lumiere for French, Sun Sui Wah for Chinese and Vij's for Indian. You won't be disappointed with any of them.

Aug 14th, 2002, 08:55 PM
gary

The Westin Grand has larger rooms and is a relatively new, (i.e about 5 yrs), hotel. Otherwise the Sutton Place is absolutely a better choice from location to service. The Sutton Place is 5 AAA Diamond while the Westin Grand is 4 and the differance is very real. The Sutton place is much better located at the centre of Downtown Vancouver while the Westin is more off centre though not so much so that it is inconvenient.

XXX has given you some good restaurant selections. The Rain City Grill is an excellant choice for West Coast Cuisine as is Bishops but both are rather pricey and serve small but filling portions. Bear in mind that 'pricey' in Vancouver means around $50-70CAD per person including wine and taxes. Also Chinese and East Indian food come in a wide variety of regional types and all are found in abundance and excellant quality in Vancouver. By the way I have to say that general experiance has said that the Salmon House on the Hill is more ambiance than quality.

So welcome to Vancouver.
Enjoy your stay - Mazel Tov, (congrats), on your 10th - may you have many, many more.

Aug 15th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Cindy

If you can get an affordable rate, I would strongly recommend the Wedgewood as a lovely place to stay. It's quieter than the bigger hotels, and the location is great, on Hornby Street just opposite the courthouse. It's a small boutique-style hotel with a wonderful restaurant, and the staff are fantastic. I'd also agree with the recommendation for Raincity Grill; it's a great restaurant.

Aug 15th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Julia

Hi!

Congratulations! I'd suggest the Pan Pacific Hotel at the cruise terminal or the Hotel Vancouver. The Pan Pacific has exquisite views of Stanley Park, North Vancouver and West Vancouver, the shipping lines, the cruise ships (in the summer months). The Hotel Vancouver is a true Canadian historical classic - I stayed there last year and it has been re-done to reflect the historical heritage of the hotel. The rooms are large and beautiful and the service is absolutely gracious.

Best,
Julia

Aug 15th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Coco

As Cindy posted, I, too, would recommend the smaller, more intimate Wedgewood Hotel. This would be my choice to celebrate a anniversary. It is located right in town and within walking distance to mall and shops. There is also a small upscale restaurant, "Bacchus" that is highly rated. Have stayed at the Sutton Hotel. It is very, very nice. It is within walking distance to the trendy Robson St. Try the Sunday brunch at the Sutten. It is to die for. Both hotels mentioned are in a fantastic location.

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:43 PM
me

We just returned from Vancouver and stayed at the Bayshore Weston, which is on the water and near Stanley Park. It was very nice, rooms good, great views.
This is more resort like than staying downtown (which you may or may not prefer. Take the Gondola up to Grouse Mountain, take the free trolly around Stanley Park and then get off and walk and hike. There are some trails overlooking the water that are fun.