Vancouver Seafood Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations on a good seafood restaurant in Vancouver? Nothing too fancy (we don't want to dress up) - but more of a local's favorite? Also, any sushi recommendations? Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I had a wonderful seafood dinner at Joe Fortes restaurant in Vancouver. They have their own website. It's located in center city.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM

There are a lot of good seafood restaurants in Vancouver and . "C" at the foot of Howe Street is a little pricier, but good and known for their sustainable ocean fare. The Fish House in Stanley Park is a nice location, Joe Fortes (as mentioned). Chambar – great muscles and lively. Bin 941, smaller tapas style and fun. As far as sushi goes, there are lots of Japanese students in town so plenty of restaurants cater to them. My personal favourite is Miko on Robson Street. But you could probably ask anyone and they'll have their own recommendation.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips - we'll be sure to check those out.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM

SMac, are you recommending Chambar for its 'mussels' or its 'muscles'
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Another vote for Joe Fortes. If you are there on a fine weather weekend, do go for the brunch and make sure you sit on the rooftop. In addition to the brunch menu, they have their strictly seafood menu, and it's pretty extensive. Also, there is a menu just for oysters any time you dine.

As mentioned earlier, they do have a website, and you can book reservations there -- there are several different dining areas, make sure you choose the one you would like.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:15 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Oops. Oh yeah – and the "mussels" aren't bad at Chambar either. : )
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Vancouverite here!

Joe Fortes, as recommended by other posters, serves good, solid seafood. Nothing inventive, nothing that will blow you away. The location is spectacular, with their rooftop patio, and it's right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. It's part of the 'see and be seen' circuit,and definitely on the radar of many celebs who come to Vangroovy to shoot their films or t.v. shows. Do make reso's if you're planning on trying it out.
www.joefortes.ca

Old-school, luxurious, classic, romantic, pricey: The Cannery. Yes, it was a real cannery once upon a time, and the wooden walls are decorated with historical fishing implements and old photographs. You can take your float plane to the restaurant! It sits right on the water, with spectacular views to the Lions Gate Bridge. It's quite out of the way, and you'll likely need to take a taxi. It's in an industrial part of town, due to the fact that was once a real cannery, as I mentioned.
www.canneryseafood.com

Not strictly seafood, buy another poster recommended Chambar. Love, Love, Love Chambar. I believe they prepare mussels three or four different ways. It's a Belgian restaurant, and they feature a great choice of beer and martinis. A tapas-style menu. Beautiful, contemporary room, and, like Joe Fortes, Chambar is pretty hip. Make a reservation for the back of the restaurant, so that you get a 'view' of the Science Centre and a bit of skyline (condos, mostly), but it beats being seated along the wide corridor facing the bar, unless you don't mind the traffic of the waitstaff and diners coming to and fro.
www.chambar.com

Bin 941 and 942 (two different locations) are also highly recommended...my hubby and I go every couple months or so. Also tapas style - this way of eating is so popular in Vancouver. Also not strictly seafood, but like Chambar, they do great mussels. (My suggestion is to try either Chambar or one of the Bins, as they are more similar in vibe, style, type and presentation of food, as opposed to The Cannery and Bin/Chambar). Bin is a small, narrow room with funky artwork on exploding out of the walls...it's noisy, and a wee bit crowded. You're pretty much elbow to elbow with the other tables. However, I kind of like this. To me, I feel like I'm at someone's house at a party, with really great food.
www.bin941.com

Oysters can be found at Rodney's Oyster House in Yaletown. Super casual, a small menu but almost all seafood.
www.rodneysoysterhouse.com

For sushi, nothing beats Ajisai in Kerrisdale (no website, it's at 2081 42nd Avenue West), tucked in behind London Drugs. I lived in Japan for three years. This place is authentic and it's good, and the prices are reasonable. Cab fair from downtown Vancouver will run about $20CDN, including tip.

Don't worry about any restaurant being too 'fancy'...frankly, Vancouver is one of those cities that you can go out to a pricey restaurant and find one table of diners in their blue jeans and fleecy pullovers next to a table of men in suit jackets and ties.

Hope this helps!

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Thank you, goodgrace. We try to make it to Vancouver once or twice a year (from Orlando, Florida). Your recommendations are most welcome. We're not celeb watchers; we get most enjoyment out of just chatting with the wait staff at Joe Fortes. But good mussels will draw us in every time.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM

This link (http://www.straight.com/article/best...eaders-choices) is to the city's alternative weekly paper's reader's choice awards. They are a good starting point if you want to have a few recommendations broken down by category.

Coast www.coastrestaurant.ca would be my pick for seafood
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM

Vancouver is full of great sushi places but Tojo's is head and shoulders above the rest.
www.tojos.com
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM

&quot;<i>Vancouver is full of great sushi places but Tojo's is head and shoulders above the rest</i>&quot;

No longer true.

Since opening his new place Tojo has jacked prices even higher and value has fallen precipitously-he is obviously going after the high end tourist dollar.

http://dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=2