Vancouver Restaurants/ Transportation to SEA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I will be in Vancouver for 2 days and 1 night following my Alaska cruise. Can anybody recommend good inexpensive restaurants centrally located that serve either seafood or any kind of ethnic cuisine? I will be going with my friend and we are both in our late 20's- would love a young, upbeat, singles scene. Any other hints are welcome!

Also, I may have to fly out of SEA b/c I fly standby and there aren't as many choices out of YVR for me....does anybody know of any Greyhound/Amtrak routes between Vancouver and Seattle and how much they run? Thank you.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Hi.

I can't help you with the first part of your question, but I have experience with the second part.

Amtrak and Greyhound can get you to downtown Seattle, but if you need to get to get directly to Sea Tac airport from Vancouver, I would suggest that you try Quick Coach. There are seven departures per day from several Vancouver locations and it runs right to Sea-Tac itself. The cost runs about $40. If you notify them in advance, they are willing to pick up from most Vancouver hotels. Their website is:

www.quickcoach.com
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Downtown Vancouver is basically the central hub for good, inexpensive restaurants of ethnic and seafood cuisine. You can walk from one end of downtown to the other in 20 minutes, and there is so much choice, you really only have to go for a stroll, look at the menus, and see what interests you.

There are a lot of good restaurants along Robson Street and along Denman Street. Surprisingly, I find that my favourite restaurants aren't in these neighbourhoods, but in Gastown.

One restaurant you might enjoy is Wild Rice, on Pender Street. It looks non-descript from the outside, but it's possibly one of my favourite restaurants - www.wildricevancouver.com It's fusion Chinese - not traditional at all, but definitely suits the young, upbeat late 20's scene. The martini's are divine!

Another favourite, for Japanese food, is Kitanoya Guu with Otokomae, on Water Street in Gastown. One of the few Japanese restaurants in Vancouver that doesn't feature sushi, if you're wanting to try the trendy food those in Japan are eating, this is the place. It's like a Japanese tapas bar. The cocktails are delicious!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Here's the link for Kitanoya Guu - http://www.kitanoya.ca/Guu_for_user/index.html
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. I've been to Vancouver once before when I was a kid on a family vacation...now I'm looking forward to enjoying a whole different scene as an adult!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Try Hapa Izakaya. Here's a review of it as well as Guu. Check out Vancouver Magazine's website for other suggestions. You might also want to consider Bin 941 and Bin 941 which are fusion tapas places.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Sorry - that link didn't take. Here it is:

http://www.vanmag.com/0302/diner.html