Vancouver proper and shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the "trophy wife" on next week's trip. While SO is conferencing ,I am hoping to explore both SOMA & Yaletown. Any suggestions for lunch in either or studios to explore is most appreciated. I might wander into the Punjab Market. Any suggested sites?

Also..we have reservations one pm @ Chambar. Most reviews have bee immensely favorable however, chowhound just reports
"bad"..any thoughts?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

LOL Vancouver in early April doesn't usually afford enough exposure to one's 'trophy wife' to even matter.

Although if one paraded his 'trophy wife' along East Pender street on a busy Saturday afternoon she would (presumably) stand taller than most of the human surroundings and thus be afforded her due exposure.

However, one shouldn't be caught dead with his 'trophy wife' on display on E. Pender or the surrounding areas after dark.

IF you've never been to Vancouver, you can't really go wrong when just leaving your days to your own instincts and devices. The downtown area is compact enough and flat enough to beckon most anyone to enjoy a great self-guided walking tour. It'll probably rain so bring wet-weather gear.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM

Pam, we haven't eaten at Chambar but have heard good things.

Take a look at Vancouver Magazine www.vanmag.com/ which outlines good restaurant experiences and the different shopping neighbourhoods of Vancouver.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM

I have eaten many times at Chambar and had several great experiences and one not-so-great. It's a very nice, hip, uptempo room. The food is good. The drinks are good. But it is very NOISY and the tables for two are VERY close together. I've had better experiences when I've been with 4 or more people ... bigger table, off to ourselves. I think it depends on what you want out of a restaurant.

In Yaletown (where I live), just walk around. There are shops and restaurants for lunch galore.

(What do you mean by "studios to explore," BTW?)
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

I've had mostly good and a few less good experiences at Chambar as well. I second all of Xandohead09's observations. On the negative side, I recall combinations of ingredients being overpowered by a single garnish, for example. But when Chambar is on, which is most of the time, and you're looking for a lively room, it's a good choice.