Search

Where are the shady areas in Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the shady areas in Vancouver?

Hi,
We have just recently moved to Vancouver, BC and we are exploring the different areas and getting to know the city.

Recently, there's been several criminal activities with reference to Hastings street. Hastings is a long street stretching all the way from Vancouver to Coquitlam. Does anyone know which are the areas on Hastings in particular which we should be alittle more weary of?

Are there any other areas in Vancouver which we should know about?

It will take time for us to get to know the city, as with all new places. We just want to be careful especially since we have a baby with us.

A concerned mom in Vancouver.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Welcome to Vancouver!

The area they're referring to is the few blocks around Main and Hastings, the heart of the "Downtown Eastside". Otherwise, you're right, Hastings is very long, and it's fine everywhere else.

Note that the downtown eastside is predominantly known for its drug-related crime, not random violence. It's not particularly known to be a violent area. More seedy than a real threat.

A good website to get a feel for all Vancouver neighbourhoods is http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/comm...munityList.htm
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Also, the seedy factor spills over into Chinatown and Gastown at night. Once again, not known for random violence, but places I wouldn't take a family to in the evening.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I agree with Carmanah - pretty much all of Vancouver is fairly safe, even the DTES (Down Town East Side) isn't overly dangerous, as long as you aren't wandering around down there late at night or buying crack...I've walked around most of downtown Vancouver with a fairly high-end camera and a whole whack of gear, including some back alleys and such, and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

As with any city, the most important thing in terms of your safety is to be aware of your surroundings at all times. If you don't feel safe, regardless of where you are (safe area or not), get out of there. Your instincts are probably going to be a better indicator of your personal safety than some general warning about a street or neighbourhood.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Oh - and welcome to Vancouver! It'll stop raining eventually, I promise.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM

To give you a specific street reference, the dodgy part of East Hastings Street begins at about Richards Street and goes a few blocks east from there.

Trust me, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it is "different." If you drive or walk there, you'll feel the "difference."

I gave you the street reference because that seemed to be what you were wanting right now. However, I agree with BikerScott. Your own awareness of your surroundings is more useful than knowing the name of this street or that street.

When I first saw the title of your thread, I was puzzled. Where are the shady areas in Vancouver? Living in drier, less vegetated Calgary, the WHOLE of Vancouver seems shady to me (and beautifully so, I might add). It was only when I opened up the thread that I realized the context in which you were using the word "shady."

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Hello Judy,

I read the question the same way that you did - and immediately thought "Well, okay, there are plenty of shade trees in the part of the West End where I live, also Point Grey, and University Blvd..."

Interesting that neither of us thought it was an odd question!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

hahahah.....I really was thinking seedy.....

That is too funny, but thanks for not making me feel like an idiot. Well, being a full-time mother of a baby does effect my concentration sometimes.
Thanks for tickling me to the core

Btw Vorkuta, we live in the West End too. Who knows, I might run into you unknowingly.....