Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pan Pacific or Westin Grand in Vancouver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a first (and possibly only) visit to Vancouver, the question is whether a guaranteed bay view room at the Pan Pacific is preferable to a guaranteed bay view suite at the Westin Grand. I know that the Pan Pacific is right on the water, but it's about 50CAD more. I was told that the Pan Pacific is a much busier, noisier experience, but that view looks unbeatable on the website. What do you think?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM

Hi Shellio: I think the Westin Grand Hotel you're referring to is located on Robson Street in the West End, and not a terrifically interesting area on Robson. For a true Vancouver experience, I would choose the Pan Pacific hands down over the Westin because, as you noted, the P.P. is right on the water. However, the Westin Bayshore is also located right on the water, at the entrance to Stanley Park with an easy walk (for me) to the West End and downtown (or, a quick bus or cab ride). I really like the Bayshore a lot but you want to specify a harbour view room. Other great Vancouver hotels are the grande dame herself, the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, not located on the water but across from the Art Gallery; the Wedgewood Hotel, a smaller boutique hotel, with a great bar; the Rosedale on Robson, a hipper hotel in Yaletown; etc. I think it depends on what you specifically want to do in Vancouver, who you are travelling with, and how deep your pockets are (unfortunately!). There are also some great downtown B&B's ( see www.downtownaccommodations.com ), mainly renovated heritage houses in the West End. Hope this helps. Cheers, Linda
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:05 PM

The Westin is at Robson and Homer which is not a very good area.

I would choose the Pan Pacific without a second thought. It is only noisy because it is near the cruise ship docks so there's lots of people coming and going - not because that part of the city is noisy. So, at night it is quiet.

As Linda said, there are others you might want to consider like the Wedgewood and the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (there is another Fairmont at the waterfornt as well).

If you are looking for something slightly less than the Pan Pacific, you might want to look at the Delta Pinnace or the Hyatt - both of which are central (although not by the cruiseships).
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Linda, I'm leaning toward the Pan Pacific too. Yes, the Westin Grand is on Robson (at Homer?). My dilemma arises from the fact that I can get a 31st floor harbor-view SUITE at that hotel for about 50CAD less than just a room at the PP with a more spectacular view. Poor me for having to make these kind of choices, eh? The Bayshore seems a little out of the way to me, and I'm not interested this time in smaller, non-view hotels.

As for what to do in Vancouver, I'm a city person and expect to look at the scenery without actually engaging much with it. Does that make a difference in your preference for the PP? I'd appreciate any suggestions for what to do/see and where to eat, particularly super Asian places.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM

Shellio, when are you planning to visit and for how many days? That might help you decide whether to splurge for the Pan Pacific or not (i.e. look at a fabulous view through the rain or...). Why don't you check prices against the Fairmont Waterfront, as Cat123 suggested? The Waterfront is across the street from the P.P. and I'm assuming most rooms have water views. If you decide not to opt for the P.P., I'd look elsewhere rather than stay at the Westin Grand. For Asian restaurants, I think Cat123 or others could help you out much better than I can, but for dining choices, shopping, current events, I always refer people to Vancouver Magazine at www.vanmag.com/bites.html for a great overview of the city. Visitors always seem to enjoy Robson Street for shopping, restaurants, etc. but for my money, I like Yaletown, South Granville and West 4th/Kitsilano better. Main Street and Commercial Drive are more alternative/funkier. They all require a cab or bus ride. Vancouver Art Gallery is always worth a visit as well as the galleries in South Granville. Granville Island is a must-do - you can access it by land or really fun little ferries that chug across False Creek. And even if you're not an outdoor person, ask your concierge about horse & buggy or tour vans through Stanley Park - it really is fabulous. Have a great time, Linda
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:27 PM

As for restaurants, not sure what you mean by 'super Asian' but...

Tojo's generally gets top billing (and top dollar) for amazing Japanese seafood (both sushi and otherwise). It's very expensive and you need reservations. Not in a particularly interesting part of town so you really are there for the food but the food is astonishingly good. Also, En Japanese on Granville is simpler, more modern, and excellent.

For top Chinese there are many but Sun Sui Wah is often called the best. It's on Main St. Kirin is also very well known.

For modern/funky Chinese, Wild Rice is very popular although not in a great location at the edge of Gastown.

There are lots of neat little Japanese pubs on Robson St. such as Hapa Izakaya and Guu with Garlic that are really fun for lunch or dinner and are very affordable.

I don't know how broad your definition of Asian goes but if it includes India, you definitely need to go to Vij's on South Granville. It doesn't take reservations but is very high end and is in a great area with lots of art galleries and shops.

For places to see, since you are a city person you'll probably like Yaletown (modernized warehouse district), South Granville Street on the west side (upscale shops/galleries/restos), Robson St. (mainstream shopping) and maybe the West End on Denman Street which is more residential but still has lots of action.

Vancouver Magazine is a great source. Also, the Georgia Straight has just done their annual Golden Plate awards which may be online at www.straight.com. Enjoy.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Cat123 and Linda:
Thanks for your very useful information. I've made reservations at the PanPacific and am really looking forward to it. My husband and I will be there in July and so I hope the weather will allow us to do the strolling and poking around we enjoy. I'm definitely planning to go to Granville Island and Yaletown sounds ideal for my taste. Thanks for the Asian recommendations, Cat. I understand that Vancouver's Asian restos are as close to authentic as it gets in North America, so we plan to try a couple to compare with the SF area. What would you recommend for Western style eating?