Need a Hotel recommendation for Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband and I will be spending our 7th anniversary in Vancouver and we are looking for a fabulous hotel that will provide us with great service, and great rooms with great views. So far I have narrowed my choices to the Westin, Sutton Place and the Four Seasons. Any feedback on these three? Anyplace that I may have overlooked?
Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Check out the Pan Pacific too

http://vancouver.panpacific.com/
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM

The Metropolitan across the street from the Four Seasons is of equal quality and at better prices. However, for a view, a harbour side room at the Pan Pacific is the best. The room is small, but you can sit by the window and watch the ships sail by with the North Shore mountains in the background. Of course, it will be expensive and will you be spending all your time in your room or getting out to enjoy the incredible sights of Vancouver?
(Overheard while walking on the seawall in Stanley Park: "Stanley Park is God's paintbrush."
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM

If you mean the <u>Westin Bayshore</u> Yes-the other place is fine but nothing special.

<u>Not</u> Sutton Place-which has seen better days.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM

We did not like the Westin Bayshore. It was OK, but I found they nickel and dimed us for everything.

If you can afford it, the Fairmont Waterfront is probably the nicest place.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM
begbie

hi
try having a look here for some more ideas of whats on offer:
http://destinia.com/hotels/hotels--i...erica/22469/en

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM

If you want to be able to assure yourself of a great view, you need to book into a waterfront hotel which will promise you a water view (at a cost, of course). The Four Seasons is a great hotel and has some great views (some of the water) but it isn't actually on the water and unless you're spending major dollars you can't be assured that you won't be on a low floor looking across the street at another hotel.

So, I think your choices are the Pan Pacific, the Fairmont Waterfront or the Westin Bayshore.

Personally, I find the Pan Pacific to lack warmth -- it has cavernous public spaces. I like the Westin Bayshore very much and it has a great location if you want to be next to Stanley Park and don't mind a 15-minute walk to get downtown. I've stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront too and find the quality of the rooms (and service) quite variable.

So, I think I'd conclude for an anniversary the Westin Bayshore is the place to go.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Sutton Place is my fav...AAA 5 stars...still an outstanding property and in the centre of all action. Agree with the comments on the Pan Pacific, but great location. If you go to the Bayshore, ensure you get a refurbished room! Again great location and a lovely easy walk to downtown - or a short cab ride.
Vancouver is fortunate to have 3 five star hotels (Four Seasons only recently lost theirs) in the Pan Pacific, Sutton Place and Four Seasons.
If pushed for a choice, I would pick the Bayshore as long as you get a great room with a view...some of the older ones have great views but are a bit tired. Very West coast.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM

You don't have to stay in a hotel that's literally on the water to have a great view in Vancouver. Of course, you haven't really mentioned that a waterfront's a part of your criteria, but some people automatically assume that when you want a great view, you want to be on the water.

Vancouver's best hotels are located downtown on a very tiny one square mile peninsula, surrounded by water on three sides. Most hotels have great views... you just have to have a high room, preferibly facing west.

To the north is the more industrial waterfront: Burrard Inlet. This is where you have the business district of downtown, and it's where the cruise ships come in. This is also where you have the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront. This is the only part of downtown with hotels actually on the water, however, personally, I find this immediate part of downtown Vancouver rather boring, as it's mostly just office buildings... you have to walk 10-15 minutes to the more vibrant/lively/interesting parts of downtown. As well, I don't really find this waterfront the nicest in the city.

The western edge of Vancouver's downtown (aka: the West End) is in my opinion the more beautiful part of downtown, as it's where you'll find English Bay opening up into the Strait of Georgia, Vancouver Island in the distance, and the most gorgeous sunsets. Of course, as it happens, there aren't really any hotels on this waterfront... (with exception to the Sylvia Hotel), it's mostly public beaches, residential zones with shops/restaurants along the main streets.

Anyhow, my point in all this is that, if you can, get a hotel where you can get a room that looks west, the higher floor the better. For work back in June I did a tour of the Sandman Suites on Davie Street. Their presidential suites on the top floor blew my mind. The hotel looks like an old apartment from the outside, but they must have gutted it from the inside entirely because the rooms were very contemporary and very swanky/stylish in design. (Think dark wood floors, full dark wood kitchen, flat screen TV, low tables, several balconies overlooking the beach, etc). Now of course, the Sandman Suites isn't really your traditional idea of a fabulous hotel, yet, what I saw would be my ideal for my own personal anniversary night. It definitely had the best view from any hotel I've been in in downtown Vancouver. The swimming pool was also the nicest I've seen, however, it's outside.

The second best view I've seen from within a hotel in downtown Vancouver was at the Westin Bayshore.

However, it was the Four Seasons that seemed the most luxurious hotel. The rooms were more spacious, and the service was very personable. The views tend to be more city views of office buildings, with more glimpses of water and mountains the further up in the building you are. The swimming pool at the Four Seasons is also quite something, with half of it being outside and the other half being inside. It has more of a luxurious feeling.

Another option is the Pacific Palisades Hotel, with a room facing south on one of the higher floors. The service at the Palisades is fantastic and you're right on Robson Street where you just have to step outside and you have dozens of shops and restaurants.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Just got back from staying at the Westin Bayshore. We had a room on the 18th floor in the tower. Our view was of the mountains and water, a view of Stanley Park to our right and Canada Place(nicely lit at night) to our left.
It was beautiful.
The room itself was quite nice-not really luxurious but very nice. We slept in the wonderful new Westin bed with all it's white coverings so it felt very clean. Some people have complained about the bathroom being too small. I thought it was fine and had lovely features.

I can't tell you what the older wing would be like, but from the outside it looked old.

The lobby area was fine--but very large and freezing! The space seemed too large for what furnishings were in there.
If you can get a tower room on a high floor-I should think you would be very happy.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Whoops, I meant, Stanley Park to our left and Canada Place to our right!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Lucky You,
Just to be in Vancouver. I live in the US and often travel up to BC. We've stayed at all of the above mentioned hotels. I can say that Pan Pacific is excellent, on the water and romantic, especially if you have a harbor view room. Dinner in the restaurant around sunset and dusk is spectacular. Sutton place is closer to shopping and great cultural restaurants. If you stay at sutton Place, you can still walk to Pan Pacific take a leisure walk along the esplanade see the cruise ships, shop, visit the Pan P, have a glass of wine in the beautiful bar with lovely piano playing close by. I have never had anything less than 100% at any Four Seasons,and I'm not crazy about the Westin. These are all in my opinion and experience.
Good Luck and Congratulations on your 7th anniversary